1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is this and do I need to keep it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bill Lumbergh, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This was in my glove box from day 1. I don't know where it goes, but it says "LHD" (Left Hand Drive), >PC/ABS<, 55414-47020 on the back.

Any idea what it's for? It's slightly shaped like a parallelogram and the two short sides are not parallel to each other.

2. Old n Bold

Old n Bold New Member

Mine is in the lower glove compartment, sitting on a couple of ridges in the middle of the compartment sides. It makes a good shelf to keep things sorted.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the shelf for the upper glovebox. It slides into catches on either side in the upper glovebox. Make sure it's secure so it doesn't rattle.

4. T1H1X38

T1H1X38 New Member

Yup...It goes in the top glove box. You can probably use it for other things but the "LHD" is for Left Hand Driver Prii (such as the ones we have in the US as opposed to RHD in such countries as England). It's shaped to fit perfectly onto the top glovebox (if you've noticed the glovebox is not a perfect rectangle/box nor are the lengths and widths equadistant).

I lay my coin purse and my inexpensive ultra-low megapixel digital camera on it.

5. annef

annef New Member

I was wondering the same thing myself. Good to know!

6. Sid

Sid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius?\";p=\"113915)</div>
    Did you also find a small cellophane bag with two black rubber grommets in it? :)
    I can understand why the grommets don't get installed by the dealer, but the shelf is already in the glove box and would take only a few seconds to install. My shelf was a mystery too until I read a reference to it here at PriusChat and then figured out what it was.

7. Bill Lumbergh

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, no grommets. I was actually looking for those when I first got in the car the day I picked it up.

8. v.jones

v.jones New Member

You may want to reconsider leaving anything electronic on that shelf unless you never drive or park in the sun. I kept my sunglasses there until I grabbed them one afternoon and almost burnt my nose putting them on... that was after about an hour of driving after the car had been parked in the garage.

Otherwise, enjoy your toy.

9. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The black plugs were supposed to have been installed during PDI(along with putting in the glovebox tray). The plugs go into oval tie down holes in the rocker panel. Looking under the rear doors towards the rear, you will find the holes there. It won't hurt anything to wait till your next service and have them installed when the car is in the air.

10. Sid

Sid New Member

11. Bill Lumbergh

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The plugs were installed during the PDI, as they were not in my glove box. Otherwise, I'd have another post titled "WHat the heck are these and where do they go?" :p

Thanks guys n' gals. BTW, I'm not really happy with the way the shelf fits. It's awefully loose. It doesn't rattle, but simply one ounce of rearward force can remove it. I'd prefer that it fits tighter.

12. wstander

wstander New Member

Are you certain that the shelf lots are lined up and the tray is all the way in? I thought of using a drop of cement later, if it loosens up sometime...

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? Hmm, mine's awfully tight lol. Maybe my shelf was supposed to fit in your glovebox haha.

14. chasabel

chasabel Junior Member

v.jones wrote:
    "I kept my sunglasses there until I grabbed them one afternoon and almost burnt my nose putting them on..."

Here is where I keep mine.

15. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Boxster etc:
    You are more trusting than I--I and two other owners I know did not have the plugs installed. I hate to say it, but I suggest you take a quick look under your car to ensure the plugs were insalled rather than tossed into a convenient trash can by a rushed tech.

16. v.jones

v.jones New Member

chasabel wrote: Here is where I keep mine. [photo of sunglasses in overhead bin]

Hmmm... never thought of Shady Grove as being that shady... I didn't even try that location given all the complaints of others here about how hot the ceiling gets when parked in the sun and how the best way to keep the cabin reasonable was to point the A/C vents at the ceiling to cool it off. So now I wonder, have I been misled or have you been lucky?
    --
    Vince

17. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I keep mine there as well. Granted, mine are clip-ons and I'm able to put them there, case and all, so that might insulate them. Still, it's better than having them on my dashboard like my old car.

18. chasabel

chasabel Junior Member

Mine get a little warm on a bright and sunny day,
    but not unbareable. Maybe having the White
    color car helps quite a bit.

Charlie

19. annef

annef New Member

I was curious about the black grommets. My sales guy said to toss them out, that no one uses them. That seemed kind of odd to me...I would think a lot of sand and moisture would get inside the body cavity. I guess we'll be installing these ourselves (I didn't throw them out, despite the advice I got).

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My sunglasses do get hot in the overhead compartment but it won't burn to the touch.