1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is this and how do I put it back?!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by rmi, Jul 6, 2014.

1. rmi

rmi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was vacuuming leaves from underneath the windshield/wiper cowling (what is this plastic panel called?) and sucked up this rubber stopper/cap (see photos) from the passenger side.

I'm hoping that its not important and/or that it is easy to put back. How do I remove that cowling anyway? My hands definitely can't fit between the plastic and the metal frame and these "pockets" seem to collect leaves very quickly.

Thanks in advance- Ryan

photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

2. rmi

rmi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bump. Anyone?

3. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not in a position to look, but I'd say go to exactly where you think you found it and look around. Odds are it dropped down rather than flew up.

4. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Probably important or it would not be there.

5. rmi

rmi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the replies. So is there a good guide on how to take apart the cowling to get access to where it may have been? I was using a very long and skinny vacuum attachment to get the leaves out of that small space.

6. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There's a good description on how to remove the wipers, wiper motor, and cowl assembly somewhere in a thread on installing the engine block heater, as doing so makes that task easier. As I recall it requires removing several bolts of various sizes and the whole thing lifts off easily after unclipping a wiring harness.

7. sprtent

sprtent Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is this excellent youtube video from one of our member here, NutzAboutBolts, where he removed the cowling to replace the spark plug.

I would consider opening up the cowling only as a last resort. If I may suggest a couple things 1) get a camera down in that area and take a lot of pictures where you think it might be, 2) go underneat the car and look up (maybe a flashlight will help).

Also keep in mind the thing might or might not come from the car. It could came from someone fixing something on the car and left it there.

Yesterday I went out to my car at work and look for you but couldn't see anything. I then found this empty hole (pic attached, right where the yellow #66 or 99) on the engine mount right next to the antifree reservoir where I thought that rubber plug might fit. I then looked at Ebay pics of car for sale but none has anything on that hole, so I threw out the idea. I also checked the underside of the hood, but nothing similar.

20140715_201408.JPG

rmi likes this.
  8. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would think a trip to a Toyota parts department would help you find out what they are and where they go, if anywhere.

9. rmi

rmi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks again for all the suggestions!