1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is this BEEP?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Freedom, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am hearing a single BEEP, about every 4 minutes, when I am driving. What the heck is it? I can't figure it out, looked in the Manual.

I found the Internal Alarm on Page 432, don't think it is that. The key is in my pocket, the car is on, I am driving! I've also removed the key from my pocket and set it on the front passenger seat, darn BEEP continues.

I looked in the Index for BEEP not listed. I went through a few sections, can't find what one BEEP means.

I know it means SOMETHING so it worries me. Anyone have an idea what it could be? Nothing is lighting up on the boards.

If it makes a difference: Carmine was rear ended, spent 2.5 weeks in the repair shop. Got a new rear hatch door and locking mechanism, and a new rear bumper. I know they had to disconnect the battery, as I had to reset the clock, my radio presets, and my mileage history is gone. This BEEP started when I picked up the car.

Also, I may be due for an oil change (not by mileage, but by time passing) but I don't see that in the Manual as causing a BEEP. (I already have the appt made).

BEEP!

2. JasonGoalie34

JasonGoalie34 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm gonna take a stab and say it's got something to do with the key not being in the ignition. The feature that allows you to turn the car on without inserting it into the ignition slot is an emergency feature...

Not a technical expert, but even if it's not the reason for the BEEP, you either need to replace your smart key battery (which is easy, a pair of CR2032 batts for the smart key costs $4 and change), or start using the ignition slot as intended.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I also vote low key fob battery. OP, how old is the battery in the fob?

Change it out, it's very inexpensive.

4. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh for goodness sakes. I've figured it out - it was my CELLPHONE! I never use the thing, it stays in my handbag, it is just for calling AAA if I have car trouble; which happens about once every 2 years.

When I come in the house, my handbag goes in a closet, and I remove my hearing aid as I live alone, don't need it. So I was not hearing this beep anyplace but in the car. (It must have occurred while I was shopping in the grocery store, but I didn't notice it).

Been worrying about this beep since I picked up the car on Friday, 4 DAYS! Just coincidence that it started soon after I picked up the car.

So sorry, thanks for posting, appreciate the help.

PriusInParadise and ftl like this.
  5. fatdawg

fatdawg Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great story, it's like watching Mr. Bean :)

iPhone ?

CatsAreGods likes this.
  6. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Glad you enjoyed this, Fatdawg! LOL