1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is this black box for hooked to security system?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TheForce, Sep 17, 2010.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just removed an aftermarket security system from my 2000 Insight so I could install the Honda security system. I did that because remotes for the aftermarket system did not come with the car when I bought it. The only thing I got was 1 Honda remote, 1 master key and 1 valet key.

Anyway I got everything out and before I throw out electronics I like to look inside to see if there is anything I can use. Well I found something I could use. :D

The aftermarket security system I removed was an Air Wolf security system. the main box was labeled and there was this black box that all it had on it was 555U. There were 2 connectors on the side with 5 wires. Or maybe 4 wires. Anyway I opened it up and look what I found.

[​IMG]

MY 2nd MASTER KEY!!!!!! :rockon: And its in like new condition!!!! :D Now I don't have to get an extra one made!

Now can someone tell me what the hell the key is doing in this box? I know the key has a chip inside it and it looks like there is a sensor around the end of the key. So what exactly does this thing do with the security system? Its definitely not a spare key box since it has what looks like some kind of sensor and a relay. Plus it was zip tied up under the steering wheel area.

I've tried a google search but could not find anything but I'm most likely not using the right search terms.

2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Short answer, 555U, It's a transponder interface module for a remote start.
    Long answer, Many newer cars made within the last 15 years have some type of anti-theft immobilizer built in. One way to prevent a thief from "hot wiring" your car is integrate the key with a transponder chip that is programmed to the immobilizer ECU. When you insert your key into the key hole, there's a transponder detector coil around the key hole. Transponder detector coil detects the transponder and send that unique code to the immobilizer ECU. When the right code is received, the immobilizer ECU will allow the engine to continue to run.
    When you make a key with the right cut but with the wrong or un-programmed transponder code, the engine will start and run for a few seconds then the engine dies. Many cars will allow you to try a few times before it locks you out for upwards to an hour or so.
    When installing a remote start, the installer is basically electronically hot wiring your car. In order for the immobilizer ECU to let the engine continue to run after started, it needs to have that transponder code. This is where that black box come to play.
    Underneath the green tape around that black rectangle plastic on the PCB has a coil. The red plug should have red (power) black(ground) and blue (remote start activation). The white plug has 2 black wires (Transponder sender)
    When remote start is activated (ground on blue wire), The relay energizes and activate the transponder detection coil under the green tape. The transponder code is then sent through the white plug to another coil that's placed around the key hole. The factory transponder detector coil detects the transponder code from the DEI's transponder coil. The immobilizer ECU therefore detects that correct key is being used to start the car.

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. That explains the wire that was wrapped around the ignition that leads to the box.