1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is this icon?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by meezercat, Jul 3, 2006.

1. meezercat

meezercat New Member

So when I get into my Prius, doors shut and locked, but haven't turned the car on yet, I see on the dash a red light that looks like a car with a key inside. It goes away when I start the car. What is this? I can't find it in the manual, a search here turned up nothing, as did a Google search.

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(meezercat @ Jul 3 2006, 06:15 PM) [snapback]280722[/snapback]</div>

Hi meezercat!

That is the factory alarm system. Under normal circumstances you never have to manually interact with it, as it automatically arms and disarms with your normal interactions.

It will only come into play if someone tries to start the vehicle with out the SKS present.

3. The Old Man

The Old Man New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(meezercat @ Jul 3 2006, 06:15 PM) [snapback]280722[/snapback]</div>
    Meezercat,

Do you have SKS Smart Entry on your Prius? This is the function where you can keep your key fob in your pocket or bag and still be able to unlock the door and start the car without "a conventional key". I think this is an automated car theft deterrent that is shut off once you turn your Prius on. Once the car is on and your key fob is in your pocket/bag then step away from the vehicle, I believe this same icon/light is lit warning you that there is a security issue with the Prius. There may be another reason for this icon/light but this is what I have observed with mine.

The Old Man

4. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(meezercat @ Jul 3 2006, 09:15 PM) [snapback]280722[/snapback]</div>
    Both are correct. It lets you know that the security system is working. It comes on when you shut down the car and flashes. When you lock the car it then flashes to let the would be thief know to stay away. It does not work exactly as it is described in the '04 mamual.

5. meezercat

meezercat New Member

Thanks - yes I do have SKS. I'm still not sure why an icon related to the security system would flash when I'm in the car with the fob, but as long as the alarm doesn't go off, I suppose it is OK.

6. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Old Man @ Jul 3 2006, 09:34 PM) [snapback]280738[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think it's an 'issue' - I DID find it in the manual which is still packed from my weekend trip, and it says something like 'alarm is armed'. I THINK it only flashes red when the SKS is NEAR it and I assume the light (not the alarm) turns off when I walk further away from the car.

7. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Icon and indications are all described on page 21 of my '05 Owners Manual. Check the index on your '06 manual for "Hybrid Vehicle Immobilizer System".

8. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(meezercat @ Jul 3 2006, 09:45 PM) [snapback]280750[/snapback]</div>

My red car icon flashes all the time the car is unattended. It only stops flashing when you power up. You may notice that most cars with security systems have a red flashing light on inside when they are parked. VWs have a red light where door locks used to be that flashes all the time. Your's is working fine.