1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is this Prius Part? And does it matter??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Sep 15, 2010.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone able to help with this question?

I'm changing my oil and setting the jack on the passenger side of the car, right next to the right front wheel when I notice some gravel that seems to be stuck under this plastic "plate" under the car. I start to poke at it and there is LOTS of gravel stuck under this thing, as well as a fair amount of dirt.

It almost looks like it should be pulled off and cleaned out. I have no idea how it got there. It's almost as if the car skidded in the gravel (bottomed out), but I don't remember ever doing that. Dear (or not so dear) husband Kevin might have, but he's off in Colorado at the moment and I can't ask him.

Anyway, please, look at the photos on my Flickr page please and see if you can tell me what this panel is...it is probably about 18 inches wide and stretches down the whole underside, ending past the rear passenger door...here's the link to two photos:

Flickr: K&KinOregon's Photostream

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi K,

This is just another plastic underbody piece. I imagine that someone must drive this car on dirt roads.

It probably would be a good idea to hose that dirt out, next time the car is washed.

I hope you recognize that the scissors jack is a relatively unsafe way to elevate the car. I recommend that you don't get under the car, if that jack is the only device holding the car up.

3. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the help, Patrick.

The car is still out there, the oil is changed, but I still have the jack in place and the drainpan under the car.

And, thanks for the warning. The car is a bit too close to the ground for the drainpan to slide under, so, I just lift it slightly. About three cranks worth. The wheels are still solidly on the ground, but it raises the underside enough that I can slide the drainpan underneath.

Once it's in place, I flip open the Fumoto drain valve and then lower the car back down.

I'm tempted to drag out our jackstands and take a good look at what attaches this plastic shield. If I can easily detach it and do a good job of cleaning it would be great, but I never know where to put the stands....:confused:

Anyway, thanks again.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi K,

If you must rely upon the scissors jack to raise the car, and if the jackstands have a notch in the center which will fit the rail where the scissor jack lifts the car, then just place the jackstand behind, and as close to the jack as possible. Leave the jack in place so that you have both the jackstand and the jack holding up the side of the car.

If you had a floor jack available, then you would raise the car either at the center jacking point by the suspension cross member or else along the side rail and place the jackstand where you currently have the scissors jack.

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I warned you not to take that road down to the Lost Coast. Remember? That's probably where that dirt is from. :madgrin:

6. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did I talk about the LOST COAST on here

I seriously don't remember. That must have been one of those evenings after a couple of glasses of my neighbor's blackberry "wine.":spit:

I DID take the Prius out on the Mattole River bar, but I stayed out of the water, mostly....I think....

I think Kevin ran it into the small ditch at the bottom of our property. He does that all the time in his rig and then has to have the neighbor drag him out with his tractor -- it's a long downhill run and a sharp curve at the end....apparently male minds have trouble remembering that speed and curves and gravel = fishtailing off the road.

7. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    EUREKA -- I found some more information on PriusChat about this sand and rock problem....the only issue is that I think I have to apologize to my husband, apparently the car is notorious for picking up dirt and rocks in several areas without any help from the drivers.

Tideland Prius and some others discussed this in the following thread back in 2007 (yes, I have been poking about looking for more information off and on for the past day or so...)
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-care-maintenance-troubleshooting/31108-undercarriage-cleaning.html

8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius