1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is this pump? (Pic & video)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by burns777, Jun 12, 2022.

1. burns777

burns777 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Noticed strange noise this morning from my 2008 Prius Touring. Narrowed it down to this pump. 0% mechanical here. Can someone tell me what this is (pic below) and why it might be making this noise (in video)? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

[​IMG]

Vid:

2. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The position sensor insides these fail and make it sound like an old disc drive on a computer powering up... I tend to always buy used parts from the junk yard, but in this case the brand new aftermarket ones are barely more expensive than a used one and that sensor wearing out is a known problem. Here's the one I bought last week that arrives on Monday: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394097566363

burns777 likes this.
  4. burns777

burns777 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies. If I'm not getting an error code or any noticeable issues (besides the sound) do I still need to replace?

5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Be patient young grasshopper... Your Check engine light will eventually turn on... For this particular problem it takes a while. And I've known people that have gone years and years ignoring this problem with no issue other than loss of MPG and not knowing if there's other check engine light issues coming up because the light is already on.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ... a disadvantage worth taking seriously whenever thinking about ignoring one 'unimportant' trouble code.

7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah... But I've never met a person I explained this to who were willing to take as seriously as I was... That's when I shrug my shoulders and think of the old TV commercial of the mechanic saying, "You can pay me now or your can pay me later."