1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is this thing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jmiller29, Apr 22, 2022.

1. jmiller29

jmiller29 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There's a little connector thingy with a hose right in front of my 2008 Prius inverter box.
    It had a little rubber cap on it that I removed for the picture.
    Can anyone tell me what it is for? It looks like some kind of maintenance sort of thing.

[​IMG]

In case the image insert doesn't work here's a link to the photo:

2. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Bleed port for antifreeze coolant.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Specifically it's a fitting to bleed air out of the inverter cooling system. You would take the cap off the inverter coolant tank and fill it. Then attach a small hose to the bleed screw and secure the other end in the opening of the tank (the hose will try & jump out). Turn the car ON (the inverter pump will run) and open the bleed screw.

The pump pushes coolant and any air into the tank (keep it full). Eventually all the air is purged -you can hear the pump get much quieter- then close the screw.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good idea to hold the base of it with a vice grip when you try to loosen up the bleed valve as its really really tight from the factory. You will notice as you try to loosen that valve the whole assy is bending.

You will know the system is properly bled & bubble free and working well when you see good circulation in the inverter coolant reservoir
    and the pump is quiet.

My coolant tank looks like its boiling it has so much movement. I checked the inverter coolant temp with an IR and its running about 100 degrees cooler than the ice. And an increase of 10 degrees cooler than stock using Redline Water Wetter.

When I changed my Inverter coolant I also add a bottle of Redline Water Wetter. I also use it in the ice rad too. Really good anti corrosion product and eliminates surface tension which means no bubbles. And its the same red color as LLC.

Anti corrosion improvement is a good idea as we have seen many clogged inverter coolant channels from lack of maintenance.

Used Water Wetter in both coolant systems for 12 years. Rad looked brand new inside 12 years later.