1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is this?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gring40, Aug 11, 2006.

1. gring40

gring40 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are several features molded into the left front of the dashboard of our 2006 Prius, just over the VIN. Photo below was taken from the outside of the car:

[attachmentid=4453]

The manual indicates there is a light sensor somewhere in that area: is that it, and does package #4 have one, and what does it do?

My main concern is that our town requires a city vehicle sticker in that corner of the windshield, & I'm concerned it may affect some function.

Any ideas?

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The little black button-like thing in the right of your picture is a radiant heat sensor. The air-conditioning system uses it to detect the heat gain due to direct sunlight on your car. It will boost the AC when it detects that the sun is shining directly on your car.

Don't cover it up or your AC won't work as well as it should. My state requires the inspection stickers in that location. I noticed on a trip in my wife's Prius that we had to constantly adjust the AC up and down whenever the sun went behind a cloud or came out from behind a cloud. I had never had that problem with my Prius. I then realized that the inspection stickers on her Prius were too low and the sensor was always in the shade. I had my dealer (who applied the original inspection stickers) move them so they don't block the sensor and the AC now works much better.

Apply the sticker so that the bottom of it is an inch or so above the word Toyota and you should be fine.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TechLite @ Aug 11 2006, 09:05 AM) [snapback]301505[/snapback]</div>
    The empty slot is the location for the light sensor in cars equipped with automatic headlights (only Canada gets that option in North America).

4. gring40

gring40 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks very much for your replies: the explanations help. The dash sensors on our other cars were placed more towards the center, so this sort of thing was never a problem before.

The sensor location now earns a spot in the list of the very few things I don't like about the Prius, along with the lack of a zippered folder to hold the manual and other important docs and certificates.