1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is Total Load Capacity of 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by cycledrum, Jun 28, 2009.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is ... allowable load of occupants + cargo.

I miscalculated before saying it is GVWR - Curb weight. I did this for 09 Prius which came out to 863 lbs, not correct. It's 810.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    825 pounds, from a previous thread.

If that supposed curb weight already includes all the fluids, then I'd look at the weight of the various options. Can those of us with lower trim versions use the weight of the missing options as added cargo capacity?

1 person likes this.
  3. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Don't forget to pump up your tires! They can't handle max load unless they're pumped harder.

hlunde likes this.
  4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The rated maximum capacity of the vehicle is with the vehicle in stock form, including stock tire pressures.

However, inflating tires to higher pressures is a "best practice" followed by many Prius drivers to improve overall MPG.

5. kaapie

kaapie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    About 825lbs according to the manual. Seating capacity is 5 , calculated at 150lbs per person :confused: . Pages 257 and 260 in the manual.

That is something the salesman should let folks know, when they are looking at this vehicle. A family of 5 (2 adults, 3 children) could potentially max out the capacity, before you even add luggage. :eek:

LOL.

Craig

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    825 lbs. isn't particularly far from the norm compared w/other 5 passenger vehicles. I'm trying to find my link to a chart that shows it's within the norm. Maybe someone else can help.

I found some of my old posts that discuss this:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...otion-prius-life-expectancy-2.html#post191869 - look at the max weights of the SUVs and "crossovers" I listed
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/3393-towing-prius-3.html#post530939

From http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2007/08/car-packing.html, the max load for a Honda Element is only 675 pounds.

edit: It seems the comprehensive table at http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/types/exterior-and-cargo-comparison.htm no longer requires a subscription to view.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It also depends on the model (options). The solar roof decreases the load capacity.
    So yes, you can use the "option delete" to increase load capacity. Up to a point. Also remember the wheel size will change the load capacity (along with the power steering capacity).
    I remember seeing the load capacity listed on the US web site for each model, and yes it is different for the different models/option packages.

8. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think it is far more easy to just keep a running tally.

I have a standard scale in the garage - when I add things (like sound-proofing), that are permanent, I have a log that keeps their weights.

I also think it is very important to add in all those intangibles. I have at current, 3.14lbs of paper material (insurance forms, registration, etc)

Then there are the things that stay in the back (towels for car cleanings, inverter etc etc). These things really do add weight!

My log gets added to, or lowered depending - I added a Class III tow hitch (21.4lbs) - which I didn't add to the log - until a friend pointed it out - so you really need to take care with whatever you put in your Prius!!!

I've decided not to run the fuel weight (which seems to change with temperature), and just assume a full tank.

For short runs, I don't ask my passengers to get on "the scale" - I've gotten good at guess-t-mating peoples sizes.

When I feel we may be over - or approaching that limit - I just ask that we take "their car" - better to be smart than 'break the bank'...

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    A bit of obsessive compulsive here. Let's say you overload the Prius by 200 lbs. That's 6% of vehicle weight. I doubt that would make -any- difference in safety or handling.
    When fully loaded or slightly overloaded your stopping distance will increase a bit. Allow for it.
    Increase tire pressure a bit to make sure the tires can handle the extra load.
    On steep inclines you will use more power. On hot days go a bit slower up them.

It's all common sense, which isn't really very common! ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I would not hesitate to exceed the 825 maximum by a couple of hundred pounds if I had a need to do so. However I would increase the tire pressure, as suggested by several posters above. Cars are designed with a large safety margin to accommodate future design changes and options. Virtually all cars are heavier than the curb weight listed in their specifications.

1 person likes this.
  11. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think it is very important to watch the GVW.

Also keep in mind that if you are close, watch that lunch trip - 5 people can pack in probably an extra 15 lbs (liquid/food).

EDIT: It can be touchy telling a group of people to eat light - but it saves your Prius!

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A tank of gas weighs over 70 pounds, if you could keep the fuel gauge down to 2 pips or below and just stop and add a splash every few miles you would save 50 pounds or so. Also make sure to leave the mother-in-law home.

Perhaps adding a few helium balloons might help. :)

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And don't forget to keep the HV battery SOC at half or lower. Those electrons add up.

Tom

compac likes this.
  14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After the Ford Rollover ... er, uh, Explorer fiasco that was only partially attributable to a Firestone tire manufacturing defect, I'm not so sure.

While not being concerned about street speed trips from the local hardware store on cold tires, I strictly obey load ratings on cross-state trips on the Interstate during the heat of summer.

15. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think this whole idea of helium balloons should be dispelled right now. I would not recommend this - as they block your view - and more importantly, will only help onces - not pounds.

Same thing with electrons - but even on a smaller scale - at 9x10 exp -31 kg, this is really looking at way too small a scale.

If you are suggesting this, then we need to look at even exhaling (moisture), and if the recirc is on/off.

You guys are not getting the point. The car is limited by design. An ounce is no big deal - but a few pounds = 32++ ounces.

I have children in my car, and worry for their safety - this is why I keep my detailed log.

As a side note, I've lost 7 lbs over the last few weeks - meaning more stuff for my Prius!

16. eestlane

eestlane Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The load information is available on the placard on the driver's door jamb. Why go to all the other sources? The young fellow calculating the ounces obviously has too much time on his hands, IMHO!

1 person likes this.
  17. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do not advocate - nor have I here - counting ounces - only pounds - you will void your warranty, and have the potential of killing your loved ones.

18. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "if you watch your ounces the pounds will take care of themselves," or something like that

1 person likes this.
  19. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "A five ounce bird (swallow) could not carry a 1 pound coconut."

20. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As a side note, I know that once running 821 lbs, with a somewhat even weight distribution, and a class III tow hitch, and backing down an average driveway, the hitch will bottom out.

I'm now trying to figure a new 'max' weight that will accommodate both my driveway, and the safety of the car's occupants.