1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is Toyota shop time for cruise control lever replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tcdp3, Jun 29, 2023.

1. tcdp3

tcdp3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After diagnosing the problem down to the actual on-off switch in the Cruise control lever assy, I am trying to determine if the cost of taking it to Toyota (vs. a smaller shop) for replacement is sensible. Does anyone know how many hours Toyota designates for the Cruise Lever replacement?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This should be an easy 1 hr job. It's quite easy to remove the airbag and steering wheel.

But most of the time, cruise control issues are usually due to the clock spring (non OEM)

3. tcdp3

tcdp3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you JC!

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You should be able to knock that out with the right torx bit to get the steering pad off with the airbag in it. The rest will be screwdrivers 10 mm possibly an eight and I can't remember exactly it took me less than 18 minutes to have the steering pad and the steering wheel in my hand and walking into the shop with it I was doing something different the clock spring but very similar and this is actually the first time taking the steering wheel off a generation 2 Prius. Although off all other Toyota models I've taken the steering wheel off many times Corollas sienna vans all of that It's pretty much the same I don't think you'll be removing the steering wheel so you won't need the 19mm socket or any of that I think you'll have access to the cruise stalk with the pad off and can deal with that from there it should be a small screw and a push on and a plug-in I think I have one laying here apart I could send you a picture if that was needed I would never take this to the dealer for them to do remember when you're going to the dealer look at what's happening at your dealer that's all I can tell you You see mostly children walking around looking like they're lost service writers that are a little older than the children a lot of the technicians are still in the children age range etc etc you know pants hanging down halfway around there wherevers and all of that nonsense everybody's wearing basketball shoes etc etc I tend to take my vehicles if they ever do go to a shop to places that have people that look like they work in the auto business. What is that look It's not what I'm seeing at the dealer

5. tcdp3

tcdp3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Timbukt2!