1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What is your acceleration style?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Roger T, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Roger T

Roger T Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I saw tons of Prii on the road over the years...

Many of them have a relatively slower steady acceleration and deceleration. But I did notice some people who seemingly stomp on the gas pedal when accelerates from a stop light.

I have a scan gauge. I typically rev the engine to around 2400~ top until i reach 30mph on local roads if permitted...

How hard do you stomp on the gas pedal from a stop light?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if some one is behind me, i stay just a bit slower than the person in front of me. if i'm first, i accelerate unto the power zone until i'm a bit over the speed limit. if i'm alone, or last in line, i accelerate just to the right of ev. slow and steady saves gas, reduces pollution and saves lives.(y)

3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    ^^^ That's exactly right. I don't do a whole lot of stop-and-go. Interstate speeds mostly. It chaps my hide when I get behind somebody merging onto the interstate at less than the posted speed limit. Most of those fogeys at MUCH less than posted limit. I fly out there at 78 mph and keep on going.

4. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I get up to whatever speed I need to merge in safely, even if it means hitting the PWR zone.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, safety is important. once safely merged in the right lane, i adjust to the speed limit.

6. law

law Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I drive however I feel like at the moment, fast or slow. People adjust to my moods. :)

CaliforniaBear and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    your current 'persona'?

8. law

law Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    haha Yes!

9. law

law Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I drove the same way with my old car and it was a V8 supercharger.

10. Ramtart

Ramtart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 50 mile commute to work and 45 miles are freeway miles. Fairly flat highway roads so I do a lot of pulse and gliding. Lately I've notived that I can pulse and glide in Power Mode and still get pretty nice Gas Mileage.

I used to be stingy about using Power Mode and now I find it pretty useful!

DadofHedgehog likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On semi-level roads I try to keep the Hybrid System Indicator's bar graph display in the hatched zone:

Capture.JPG

On down grades, I'll try to avoid engine-on completely, by keeping the bar graph to the left of median. On upgrades, especially steep, I just do what I have to do, to keep the speedo ticking upwards at a decent rate.

Priusguy78213 and Ramtart like this.
  12. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Roger, you're smart to hold the engine revs to 2400 rpm, especially on a cold engine. High rpm on a cold engine start at 2500 rpm. Anybody who forces a cold engine to hit high rpm will increase their engine wear, especially up in the valvetrain. Accelerating in the ECO range will benefit the mileage at all engine temps. Generally, I use the ECO bottom on a cold engine, the ECO top when it's warm.

Mendel's graphic is excellent. Light traffic will allow me to accelerate from stop lights in the ECO range (staying in the right lane). People who want to go faster can pass on the left. Heavy traffic often demands stronger acceleration, so I accelerate from stop lights in the PWR range. However, I try to avoid the top of the PWR range unless it's a matter of safety. Also, I try to leave slightly early.

Sadly, many hybrid owners will never hypermile. They never adjust their driving techniques to get better mileage, instead driving it like a conventional car - abusively. This means stomping on the gas pedal (jackrabbit starts), bad mileage, and accelerated wear.

#12 BruceInOKC, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    Roger T, bisco and Ramtart like this.
  13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I accelerate in the Power Zone until at speed and then try to glide as much as possible where I can.

Around here I have to just to keep up with traffic.

I always try to drive using the Golden Rule.

14. CardiffChris

CardiffChris Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    II
    ECO Mode 95% of the time. I drive about as fast as a Garbage Truck or City Bus.
    I accelerate as gently as possible, try to start out on Electric whenever possible up to 15 or 20 mph usually.
    Coasting whenever possible.
    On the freeway I generally go 60 to 65 on flat ground, 70 on downhill sections, down to as low as 55 on upgrades.
    I'm usually always in the slow lane so I don't bother anyone except people trying to pass in the SLOW lane.
    I don't hold up other drivers on roads without passing lanes.
    The Reward is usually 54 to 58 mpg.

Tande, HybridBull and bisco like this.
  15. lester williams

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I operate my car in a manner that is a cross between Bisco and Mendel, wife Elsie has a '12 ''v'' and tries to live up to her nickname, ''Elsio Andretti''. I sometimes think she likes the pretty red light at the top of her ''power'' bar, I accuse her of it anyway.... Although, in all fairness to her, she is getting better.

16. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I go into the power zone all the time, but never beyond it. Staying below it is just painfully slow. I've always been curious as to which is better:

PWR up to speed, and initiate pulse and glide sooner
    OR
    ECO up to speed, and thus needs to run the ICE longer.

17. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Same as any other car I drive. Relatively speaking, still get better MPG.

18. Roger T

Roger T Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your comment.

The reason i stay below 2400rpm is because the engine gets louder when it goes past 2400rpm. Are there other reasons you say 2500 rpm is start of high rpm for a cold engine?

19. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I often wonder about mileage and higher power output. From the efficiency graphs posted by Toyota, the Prius engine is more efficient at higher power outputs. So it -may- be more efficient overall to accelerate to speed at higher power, -then- pulse and glide. But I've found it almost impossible to measure, due to the many variables I can't control.

I find I tend to leave most traffic behind if I'm first at a light. For about 100 m, then they catch up, as I am using low throttle to just maintain speed at low fuel consumption.

But don't take my advice, I'm not a "hyper miler", and I -certainly- don't get the high fuel economy numbers those from central and southern US get. Short trips and cool weather are not a recipe for good mileage. ;)

BTW, when on cruise, the Prius will rev. up to 3000 RPM on steep inclines. Just remember, a cold engine is only cold for the first 5 min or so. After that it's a warm engine. ;)

Ramtart likes this.