1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What kind of bulb do I need for driver's side tail light?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kissinger, Apr 1, 2016.

1. kissinger

kissinger New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So some random guy waved me down the other day to tell me I had a dead tail light (note, not a dead brake light) and it did turn out to not be working. I reckon I can easily replace it myself because you can access the tail light assembly from the boot.

Only problem is I don't know what kind of bulb I need to buy. So can anyone tell me? If I can get a model/make I'm sure I'll be able to get one on eBay.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    take it out and bring it into an auto supply store. There's usually a number printed on the bulbs. Probably less than ebay price

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    168/194 wedge base bulbs (I think the UK calls it W5W?). You can also check out powerbulbs.com. I've ordered headlights from them and I think they're UK-based.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rebulb the entire back. If one has gone out they all soon will follow. Your back there anyway. Its easy. Buy the OEM bulbs online there the best and last the longest. And apply some grease to the bulbs when re-installed.

Get ready for the headlights too. There alot of fun. I would buy the entire bulb kit online and be ready. There cheap.

5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would hesitate to replace all of them. I replaced the single passenger side bulb on my wife's Prius some 2.5 years ago and none of the others have gone out. I was afraid it was going to be a typical "hassle" of a Prius repair, but it was ABC simple -- took maybe two minutes...no hassle at all.