1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What kind of cabin air filter?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by nudriver, Jan 4, 2017.

1. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't find info anywhere about the type of cabin air filter I need for my 2012 Prius hatchback. Pep Boys gave me a Purolator One C35667. Seems to fit for the most part. Good?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have found the oem to be much better quality than anything i've seen in auto parts stores. i also like the charcoal coated model. a new one very 15k is no biggie.

3. nudriver

nudriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, I mean what is the size and/or specs supposed to be?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you are in the parts store, they have a filter book. you just look it up by year and model. google also has this info. and, of course, the dealer parts guy knows.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use TYC cabin air filters that are spec. for Toyota Prius. The TYC filters are also charcoal infused for the refresh cycle mode on your Prius.
    They are very good quality at a very good price (compared to Toyota OEM). I have not measured the dimensions but if they are spec.'ed for a Prius that good enough for me. Compared to the OEM filter, they are physically identical.
    TYC 800108C Lexus Replacement Cabin Air Filter

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pull it out and measure, at least for the dimensions. Not sure regarding flow rates, and all that, but doubt it's critical.

With the cabin filter I'd think you can be cavailier, use most anything; whereas engine filter, stick with Toyota.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  7. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TYC - it fits the Prius, is a good quality filter and cheap.

The cabin air filter is one of the most over-hyped and overpriced things on modern cars. A dryer sheet cut to size would be fine. In fact, you can run the car without a cabin air filter and have no real issues.

Getting a carbon infused filter is marketing hype designed to part you from your $$$. If tyc makes a non-carbon for the 2012, buy that.

The Purolator you bought is fine, but the whole "static charge" thing is overkill. Save your cash and get a TYC -- no carbon if available -- or use a hanky :)

As a caution, I thought I was replying to a Gen II post, so have no actual experience with a 2012 Prius.

Pete44 likes this.