1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What kind of cars will the grandkids be driving?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Rokeby, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Arrival of second grand daughter got me to thinking,
    What kind of car -- propulsion mostly -- they will be driving,
    when the time comes, oh, say in 2025?

E-car with 500 mile range?
    Maybe this?
    [​IMG]

photo.jpg
    Megan, 3 yrs., Adeline, 3 days.

This is meant to be a fun-type of thing.
    Doom-and gloom predictions can be saved for an environmental thread. :p

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Something pulled by a mule.

Tom

2 people like this.
  3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Though I enjoy looking at the works of Futurists, I don't put much faith into their predictions. For example, we should be driving hover cars by now with the interstate system covered by traffic control centers like air traffic. We are supposed to be living in biodome-like self-sustaining skyscrapers. I also enjoy laughing at how they always paint the future as fresh, clean and sterile. Jetsons, Star Trek and every 60s era prediction. I believe the future will be more like today or maybe worse as in Blade Runner and The Fifth Element.

Unlike personal computing technology, the automobile industry creeps along and changes only under the pressure of pain (consumer pressure, legislation, etc).

So my 16-year prediction is that cars will still be operaring on some kind of petroleum-based fuel but perhaps closer to E85 in ratio. But that, of course leads to the question of using food as a fuel in a heavily populated world with water restrictions. Battery tech will improve but will it get to the point where a rapid charge (5 minutes) will power a car for 500 miles? Perhaps in 16 years but where will the electricity come from to power those cars plus the energy-hungry homes and businesses. So perhaps the manufacturers will develop hyper-efficient cars, but I doubt that. If we start building right now, we could have mass transit in place for the grandkids, but we don't have the funds for that so it won't happen. Besides, a high speed rail is too exposed and will constantly be the target of attack by people of countries we were and are occupying at any given time.

You said that you didn't want gloom and doom and I'm not trying to go there but in terms of automotive enhancements, I'm leaning more towards the "don't expect much" side of the argument.

1 person likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mentos and Diet Coke

(You should be buying Nissan Jukes right now so that in 13 to 16 years your grandaughters will have the least sexy car still on the road. If I thought a Smart would last that long, it HAS no back seat, and you can't street race it.)

2 people like this.
  5. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ROTFTTATLA

(Old-timer laughing so hard that they've done major internal organ
    damage and are Rolling On The Floor Trying To Activate Their Life-Alert.)

:rofl:

6. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I did say they are grand daughters, didn't I? :confused:

I do think they'd like the cycling sandals. Ix-nay on the hats. :p

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    By 2025, Electric Cars with maybe 300-500 km range would be probable. Pushing the range costs: as long as the range is practical, and recharging relatively easy, "just enough" is well: enough.

Whatever the type, my hunch (and hope): there will simply be much less driving of personal vehicles, more reliance on efficient, cheap and accessible public transit.

And ultimately, a change in attitude. Nowadays it seems like too much activity necessitates a road trip, or flight.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh, I get it, an HBH, Hay-Burning Hybrid. :D
    Probably does better on "summer fuel."
    Best to stay away from ethanol blends.

Clever of you. Well done.

I think they'd like one like this, an Appaloosa:

[​IMG]

Methane emission issues?

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hopefully cars become something we use for leisure instead of for commuting. I don't see my city coming up with a mass transit system such as the NY subway or the London Underground but hopefully we can somehow get by with light rail and busses. I'm hoping for a bullet train to take us from coast to coast as long as it's cheaper than an airplane (and most likely less polluting than one. The only "cost" is time). Though I think more likely are metro-to-metro trains like the still-under-consideration Windsor-Toronto-Montreal train. The Rocky Mountains will make it expensive to get a train into anywhere in B.C.

For personal transport, I would think smaller cars will be in style BUT that doesn't mean cramped spaces. We downsized from the 60s/70s and our full-size cars are just as spacious with a similar or even bigger boot. With advancement in technologies, we'll be able to provide more passenger space with the same footprint thanks to better packaging. The Prius is a prime example of this (and I always like to say that fuel isn't the only thing the Prius is efficient in; space is another). It's smaller than a Corolla yet more spacious inside. The Yaris and Fit are other examples. Imagine that battery technology has advanced such that only a 1.0 litre engine is necessary to give the 2036 Prius the same performance as it does now. You can stuff a 1.0 litre engine anywhere.

Making cars EV or fuel-cell will free up even more space.

Wow, my post ended up a lot longer than expected lol.

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have the funds. We just spend them on other things.

Yeah, on other things like that.

That sounds more likely. Both of my kids grew up with parents who worked from home. Neither of them have a driver's licence, and don't show any interest in getting one. They walk, cycle, and take transit without any loss of mobility, and without the expense of owning and operating a motor vehicle. So, in a way, we've already made the change. I don't expect the grandkids to devolve back to cars.

12. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is kind of a trick question as most kids who start driving in 2025 won't be driving 2025 model year cars. They will most likely be driving 2015-2020 MY cars, so the cars are likely to still be quite similar to what we have now, but with more skew toward small displacement engines and a few more hybrids and EVs.

Small EVs are probably a good choice for young drivers in the future as most don't need a long daily range nor large hauling capability. I'm already seeing a bit of that in our neighborhood as parents buy golf carts for teens to run around in.

13. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This looks affordable and uses biofuel.

Attached Files:

14. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    More like horse excrement issues. In the horse and buggy days, NYC used to take more than 250,000 lbs of poop off the street every day. I am absolutely sure they dumped it in the river.

15. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not to burst your bubble or anything, but the Jetson's lived in the far off future year of 2004. We haven't had the energy revolution that has been hoped for since the 1920's or so, so I am not sure why we could have it now. Leastways, not to the point where levitating a car is fuel efficient. So I might go with petroleum in 2025, blended with other fuels.

16. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Actually, now that I have thought about it, I think the answer will come in city or community planning, but on an urban skyscraper model, not on a sprawl model like Rouse planned and built in Maryland and Virginia in the 70's and 80's. More like what South Korea is doing in Songdo Most people will not need cars, in that case, except for trips outside the community.

17. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Helicopters or motorboats--unless they live in the mountains.

18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats you are just a little ahead of me with two Gen-III's.
    We are thinking cars are out, mass transit is in-:)

Attached Files:

19. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Walking, bicycles, electric smart cars, light & high speed rail. There will be decreasing emphasis on individual vehicles. There will be increasing emphasis on quiet, efficiency, conservation, sustainability and cost-effective transportation.

1 person likes this.
  20. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I get my way, a 2011 Lotus Elise. ;)