1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What kind of engine can I put on a 2005 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LikeAPrius, Feb 26, 2019.

1. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I bought a prius for $600 (passenger door dented heavily and HV battery almost dead) but I also obtained a totaled prius for around $300 with engine with about 65k miles (2008 Touring) would I be able to swap the engines with out any issues?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes! (y)

Raytheeagle and Rmay635703 like this.
  3. kens97uber171

kens97uber171 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should be able to however unless you know the engine in the first one is got some kind of problem. It seems like a lot of work.
    You also want to be careful with a wrecked car if it rolled over you can have oil starvation issues that have damage the engine.
    I would say take the high voltage battery and any other parts get the one that you have running and see what the engine condition is. My 2008 has 275,000 miles on it and runs just fine with very minimal oil consumption. Yours could be the same. Keep the salvage one in some kind of storage situation or pull the engine out keep it in the garage as a backup.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Graeme1949 and SFO like this.
  4. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I was thinking fine same. The total Prius back is entirely destroyed but the car technically still runs fine. I haven’t taken the engine out to fully inspect it. The HV battery is in good shape but still need to test each cells. I am going to recondition the batteries from the first Prius and use cells from the second one

5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good deal. The engine, heck the entire transaxle unit could be swapped. I would just use the old unit to see what shape it’s in.
    300 for a wrecked Prius is a deal. You can get more than that for the cat alone.

6. LikeAPrius

LikeAPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The 2008 Prius was rear ended heavily, ill post some shots later, I mean the car runs, it turns on and moves but I havent evaluated what I can take from aside from the engine and battery. It was a coincidence that I obtained it, I was going to work and spotted a towing truck dropping it off to a house. On my way back I stopped and asked the owner what he planned to do with it. He had no idea but insurance had totaled it so he was going to get something else (non prius) I offered him 300 dollars cash and he took it. I think he was just happy to have gotten rid it so fast. It was in a neighborhood where everyone has a nice looking house with a well maintained yard so I bet he would be pressure to get rid of ASAP. I came with a tow dolly and took it back home