1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What kind of MPG can I expect?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Kerensky, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Kerensky

Kerensky New Member

Due to some unforeseen money problems, I haven't yet been able to order a Prius of my own. I've started to worry though how good my MPG would be with the car, given my driving area and habits. 90% of my driving right now is to college which is 15 minutes (or 3.5 miles) away, and most of the speed limits on the roads there aren't over 40-45mpg. In fact, in traffic it's usually stop and go. I'm mainly asking this because I've heard numerous times that short trips are a MPG killer. Obviously there are times when I drive longer because of errands (usually all in city) or distance, but as I said, 90% of the time it's just to school. Anyone want to hazard a guess at what kind of MPG I can expect? I appreciate any help.

2. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    i use my prius mainly for work... about 10-15 minutes away and based on my experience terrain is a big factor in my mileage. i have stop and go traffic, lots of uphill grades to and from work and am able to get 40-45 mpg at best (and that's from really trying). but on regular flat roadways, i'd get 47-50mpg. on the freeway i'd get 50-55mpg, my best average was 57mpg. go figure! (it's the opposite of EPA predictions). i guess it really depends on driving habits, terrain, length of trip, etc.

but i must say... with that distance you say you travel a tank will go a long way for you! :p (i fill-up every 3 weeks..!)

3. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My daily commute is similar--all local roads with lights (usually not a terrible amount of traffic, stopping is mostly from lights) 45 MPH max. It's not flat, but gradual sloping uphills and downhills (somehow you notice the slopes that are barely hills more when you're trying to max out your mileage). Commute generally doesn't take more than 20 minutes. The first 5 minutes are killer for the overall MPG, so I generally average around 47-48 MPG. When I drive more, my MPG goes way up (like the day I did two round trips to school and two round trips to the airport, I went from 45 MPG to close to 50 MPG). I've had my car for just under two months, but I'll probably average a fill-up every 3-4 weeks.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to take a little different tack in answering your question (or asking more question).

1)You stated that money was tight and a major concern...is that a factor in asking about gas mileage. IOW, are you trying to decide if the gas savings would justify your purchase of a Prius?? If so, then you should NOT buy a Prius. For the short commutes you expect to do you'll never make up in gas savings the premium you'll pay over similarly sized but much less expensive cars. If one's primary goal is to save $$$ the Prius is a poor choice unless you drive very high miles (say 20-25k+ miles/year). The Prius is a good choice if you a)can afford it, b)want/need the luxury features it's equipt with, and c)feel that the impact on the environment has value.

2)Although distance travelled is a significant factor in gas mileage it is not the only factor. The time of your drive (15min) is actually not too bad. Although that first 5 minutes or so of driving with the warm up phase will give you a bit of a hit if you drive carefully for the last 10 you should be able to do quite well. I live in a modestly hilly area and one of my commutes is to take my kids to daycare right at 3.5-4 miles away. I can often IMPROVE my mileage over that short commute (it takes me around 10 minutes with 3-4 stops and top speed of 45mph). That does involve some anticipatory techniques, gliding, and all my best mileage driving technique...but it certainly CAN be done. When you get good, in warm weather there's no reason you couldn't get 50mpg and potentially even better than that if you really become an expert in high mileage Prius driving. If you press me for a number....I'd say 45mpg starting, 50mpg when you come back here asking what you're doing wrong, and 55-58mpg when you really get to expert status.

5. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

I agree with what's been posted. Our commute is about 3 miles, but we still manage to average 40 mpg/tank, even if that's all we do. On weekends we tend to up the average.
    And that is nice, but no, we could probably have bought a Civic or Camry or something and saved money.
    Lack of emissions plus way better mpg than 4runner were motivators.

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On thing we don't know, and I suspect could alter the "how much" answer is where Kerensky lives. Are you going to take a 'really cold winter weather' hit or do you live somewhere warm (maybe add that to your profile)? Combining a lot of short trips, with engine cool down in between, and recent cold weather & snow, my current tank (only 45 miles so far) dropped from 46 for the last tank to about 35 now. Hopefully with the regular work commute (15 min AM, 20 PM) I'll get it back to mid 40's.

I agree with Evan, don't buy it thinking you'll recover the price over a base Civic or something. Compared to my old 20-22 MPG Odyssey, I have so far saved about $47/mo For the length of time I will probably own the Prius, and if that savings value stays constant, the $$ saved in gas will be about $5,500.

Don't EVER stretch yourself financially to buy a depreciating asset. The hole will only get deeper and deeper.

7. Kerensky

Kerensky New Member

No, I wasn't asking about MPG because I thought the gas savings would cover any additional expense for a cheaper, but less fuel-efficent car. The main reason I'm interested in the Prius actually is because of the technology and gadgets/features.

I just want to be realistic about what kind of MPG I can expect.

BTW, I live in Northern VA.

8. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    College is just a few years. So only getting around 40 MPG (possible mid 30's if sub-freezing temperatures) during that time is no big deal. It will still be significantly better than you get now with a traditional vehicle... and it will be drastically cleaner.

You'll drive elsewhere from time to time, so that's an obvious benefit. And eventually you'll start a career that most likely won't be as close

Whatever the case, you'll still have the Prius after college and it won't have that many miles on it yet.

Go for it!

10. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think no matter what, you'll save with the prius. It all depends on how long you are going to keep the car and how many miles you plan on putting on it during it's lifetime. Since the drive train last longer than any other car, it's an instant saving of a couple thousand dollars. This makes up for the hybrid cost. If your car last 10 years with 300k miles on it.. then that's 300k miles ( normal car with a... 30mpg average cost @ $1.95 a gallon: $19,500 for 300k... The prius with short trips over a 300k spand.. so.. we'll say 45mpg lifetime average: $13,000 for 300k)

People say you can't save with this car. Its not designed to be temporary. It's designed as a car you keep for a long time. So at 300k miles... you've saved a good chunk in fuel.. you can buy a new battery if you want.. plus you've saved thousands in maintenance.

So.. as long as you keep this car for a long time.. it will pay off. possibly pay for itself. You still have to include labor.. and extra cost of those other maintenance periods.

11. mss

mss New Member

v8:

Problem is I have never met a person who keeps a car for 300K miles. Have You?? (Duck, Here it comes ...)

I believe over a more realistic 5-9 year period most people will put on between 80K - 150K miles before churning this car. I know many people in this forum put on 20K+ per year, but as this car becomes more mainstream (which it is in the process of doing) you will see average yearly mileage move closer to the 15K mile range.

Also, on gas alone I believe it is more realistic to see people going from 25MPG to 45MPG. That puts your gas savings (Based on $2.00/gal) anywhere from roughly $3,000 to $6,000.

If gas goes to $3/gal then you could save $8,000 at the high end. Factor that in with lower maintenance costs (brakes should last longer, no transmission), tax incentives (I'm saving $1,600 on day 1 due to no sales tax in CT), and the lower emmissions it is truly a smart decision now, If you can truly afford it.

A bargain at any price is no bargain if you can not afford it. Only you know the answer to that, but don't fool yourself. In a couple of years everything will improve, there will be more choices, and hopefully the premium for buying in to this technology will decrease.

12. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

V8 - I think some of your logic there is flawed, possibly just unknown.
    If you're in NOVA, your gas mileage simply won't be great (I'm assuming that you deal with that traffic), however it obviously will be better than anything else you drive.

In my short time with the Prius, I'm the typical 40mpg around town user.
    Other costs are unknown at this time.

13. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

My daily commute to work is 40 miles over 55 mph highway. After 13,000 miles I am consistently getting 50-51 mpgs.

The worst thing about the Prius is that once you get used to those 50 mpgs it will be very difficult to buy another car. Also, it makes so much sense that the engine should be off when going downhill and when stopped that all other cars seem obsolete.

14. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have met someone with over 300,000 miles on his camry

15. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

Then he will be going to the junkyard to drop off the camry soon. LOL :)

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    300,000 miles is virtually impossible in Minnesota if not done quickly. The anual freezing & baking cycles along with all the salt & sand tear apart the vehicle. So oridinary wear is overwhelmed by climate. As a result, about 90% of the passenger vehicles here are simply decommissioned before year 10.

Strangely, there is a benefit to that. Vehicle safety & reliability is higher, since only a few are driving outdated technology.

17. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I fully agree. My point is simply to just try to show people where savings are. I forgot about the tax and so on. I see these cars as a huge benifit to taxi companies and such. It's a benifit either way.. but.. some people like to see some huge figures before considering a purchase. So.. according to everyones math.. you save half the cost of the car. roughly. very roughly.

The average car gets around 30.. most are less.. so.. 30 being a good number, you'll still save compaired to any car. well.. except hybrids. The cost are known. In Vancover, someone used the prius as a taxi. Logic also tells me that you are using your braking less ( last longer) you don't change oil as much as some cars ( potential savings ) No transmission to ever burn out ( savings ) fuel savings... ( er.. savings) and i'm sure their are many other little things i'm skipping over again.

I'm not saying my ideas are perfect. It's simply supplied to people can give opinion about it.. or... for people who are looking at this forum for information since they have no clue.

I wish their was a standard "format" for priuschat. When talking about info useful to people.. you would quote the info.. and add your comment.. that way when you are late to looking at a forum.. like 6 pages in.. you can just look at the last post and get an idea of info shared. I'm just day dreaming though.

18. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He called Toyota and they said 300,000 miles on a Camry is nothing special. They can go 500,000 +

He said he has never ever had a single problem. His sunroof is broken though, but its because his friend broke it.

19. rflagg

rflagg Member

If you don't change your driving habits, you're right - expect around 35-45 in NoVA. But, with a few variations in how you drive/react to traffic, it's quite possible to break 50+mpgs (depending of course on taking a different route, etc).

I drive from Springfield to Dulles Airport 30 miles one way in rush hour traffic (takes usually an 1-1.5 hours), and my average for 20k is holding above 50 - my real dents in mileage is taking road trips to the flat midwest where the speed limit is 70 and everyone drives 80+.

-m.