1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What kind of tires should I get?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by crashbang, Jan 28, 2011.

1. crashbang

crashbang New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi ~

I have a 2008 with 33K miles on it and need new tires. I drive the car like a BMW (if you ever drove one you know what I'm talking about). Basically I am very hard on the poor little thing and I need tires that can take the beating I give to them. I average 35 mpg because of my poor driving habits so if the tires you recommend lessen the mpgs it doesn't really matter. I just need new and good tires. Thanks!

Donna

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    San Ramon CA seems to be in the coast range east of Oakland CA. If that is the San Ramon you live in, wet traction should be more important than snow or ice.

This test When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green hints that Bridgestone Ecopia EP100 may be a good choice or Michelin HydroEdge with Green X for the wet.

The Bridgestone may be 2 MPG better than the Michelin. but both are a better tire in the wet than stock.

3. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Michelin Primacy MXV4 was rated #1 in the Performance All-Season category and got good low rolling resistance on a consumer report tire survey in Nov. 2009.

I need to get tires soon and I'm leaning towards the Yokohama AVID Touring-S because it got almost as good of low rolling resistance as the Michelin, but costs less. I drive in Los Angeles so I don't need snow or ice traction.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I actually bought my tires at Walmart, Goodyear Viva Authority Fuel Max, for $79 each. All I need my tires to do is stay round. Lots of Walmarts in the south and I can get them repaired in any town

If I lived in the Northwest I would buy whatever Les Schwab had in the way of LRR tires, same reason. Looks like Les Schwab is in Northern California, they are a good choice.

LIVERMORE (925) 245-9995 2650 Las Positas Rd Livermore, CA 94551-8802

CONCORD (925) 825-5940 625 Contra Costa Blvd Concord, CA 94523-1514

FREMONT (510) 796-1985 36761 Fremont Blvd Fremont, CA 94536-3631

5. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's a bajillion tire threads on PC (now a bajillion and one) and they never seem to get old.
    I'd stay away from the Yoko AVIDs - had a set on my Honda Odyssey that were nothing but trouble, uneven wear and impossible to keep balanced.
    My Michelin Primacy MXV4s on the Prius right now are doing very well. Expensive tires but no disappointment at all.
    Whatever you get, have an alignment done when they go on and up the PSI. No faster way to ruin new tires than low pressure and/or bad alignment.

- D

6. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I pulled the trigger and went with the Michelin Primacy MXV4 in 185 65/15. I've driven about 300 miles so far the the MPGs have decreased some (around 2 mpg).