1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What kind of warning sound would you want for your car?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by pilotgrrl, Oct 25, 2017.

1. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nissan will implement a "song" in its EVs to fulfill a US DOT requirement mandating all hybrids/EVs make a warning sound for pedestrian safety.

"Nissan says its own sound is also made to "enrich the aural environment of a typical city street" and be clearly audible, but not disturbing to city residents or vehicle occupants.

Nissan says that "Canto" comes from Latin and means "I sing," adding that the sound is still subject to change."

I think I'd prefer something more bold and confident, this sounds like a cellphone to me.

Nissan's EVs will swap engine noises for 'song'

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO and hkmb like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I prefer the sounds of:
    • swarm of stinging insects
    • Verdi
    • mosquitos
    • Mozart
    • small, ankle biting dog
    • Queen of the Night
    • angry cat
    • Wagner opera
    • dragster burn-out
    • O Fortuna
    Bob Wilson

#2 bwilson4web, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    RCO, pilotgrrl and hkmb like this.
  3. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as it's from the Latin for I sing, and not Canto as in short for "Canto-pop", I'm not too concerned. People tunelessly warbling "I love you, I shouldn't have dumped you, please come back" (the lyrics to every Cantonese pop song ever written) would be awful.

I agree: that doesn't work at all.

If there must be a noise (and there must, because Detroit), the kind of whine you get from electric cars in films set in the future should do the job, surely. Basically, like the noise a Prius makes when decelerating. I can't see anything wrong with that.

#3 hkmb, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Kramah313, RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it were the only car on the road, your classical and opera suggestions would be perfectly acceptable.

But imagine the main street of a busy road. Open each of those YouTube links in separate tabs, and play all of them at once. It wouldn't be a pleasant experience.

RCO, Trollbait and pilotgrrl like this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If the point is to warn pedestrians cars are coming, this soundtrack should do.

It should stop before the shotgun blasts, no point in confusing them.

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  6. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The OEM "MeepMeep" attempt at a horn is quite sufficient to warn prospective victims that they're about to step into the space-time continuum where I'm intending to drive, and if that isn't sufficient, then they deserve (and usually get) the "Bad Boy" Laundry Experience (ffwd to 1:30:)

Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just let people download their own like a phone ring.

i heard my first prius today after 6 years of the proximity sensor while walking across an intersection.
    it was pretty quiet. i recognized it, but couldn't tell where it was coming from until i saw it creeping through the stop sign.

RCO likes this.
  8. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So that people know you're a car, would you not need people to download from a choice of approved sounds?

RCO likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good point. but honestly, is a song going to make them look? if they want cars to sound like cars, it's an engine sound, everyone gets the same thing. record the quietest gas engine on the market, and require ev's to duplicate the sound and sound level.

Mendel Leisk, RCO and Prius Maximus like this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought I remembered there were different frequencies required depending on the vehicle speed. Otherwise, what about this?

RCO and pilotgrrl like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine is the same from 1-15mph.

12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  13. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's one which might interest the OP, I'd mentioned it a while ago, and this vid show how this might be achieved!

RCO, KennyGS and pilotgrrl like this.
  14. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I rarely have a need to use my horn. I'm talking about not remembering the last time... not even to acknowledge a friend as I drove by their house while they were outside. A simple wave sufficed.

Maybe I'm just fortunate enough to live in an area around other people who I don't need to audibly assault.

AzWxGuy, RCO, pilotgrrl and 2 others like this.
  15. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mendel Leisk and Prius Maximus like this.
  16. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Perhaps we could get the Havana noise maker?

Bob Wilson

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Dog, aggressive would make almost anyone look. There are mountain lion voice samples on the web that really ought to have similar effects. I heard mountain lion tending to home territory once 'in the field'. Not ignorable :eek:

RCO likes this.
  18. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Australia has much to offer here. I would recommend the koala's mating call.

But all these noises seem to be replacements for horns, when what we're looking for is a constant noise to replace engine noise. That's why I think the whine that you get in electric cars in films set in the future (or Priuses slowing down) would do the job fine. Anything more just gets irritating.

@tochatihu , I assume Kunming is the same as most major Chinese cities, and that street-cleaning trucks play an 8-bit version of Happy Birthday at ear-splitting volumes.

It's horrible. And imagine thousands of them, all playing different tunes (Happy Birthday, For He's a Jolly Good Fellow, It's a Small Small World, Greensleeves, Rule Britannia (all songs I've heard from street sweepers and garbage trucks in China) etc), on a major road. It wouldn't stop people from getting run over: people would be throwing themselves in front of trucks just to make the noise stop.

I get the need for a noise to stop blind people from getting run over. But it doesn't need to be some sort of hideous screech or roar. Just a hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is fine. One of the joys of electric cars should be that they'll make our cities quieter. I get that that isn't as important as reducing air pollution or CO2 emissions, but still, it's something that would be nice. Why ruin it?

Also, these days, speakers can be directional. So speakers at the front and rear of the car that just emit the hum in the direction the vehicle is travelling would meet the safety needs but wouldn't lead to unnecessary noise pollution.

Mendel Leisk and pilotgrrl like this.
  19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Listening to a baseball championship game (quite a nice one actually), I'd suggest that some announcer exclaiming "well hit...and she's gone" would get people to look.

That being the goal. Get people to look. Don't see this as just for unsighted folks (they are cautious). There are many more 'texting' targets who have vision but waste it, walking into the squishing zone.

Koalas sound like me, working a nasal obstruction. Ain't nobody gonna look up for that.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Fortunately, I've not heard the Prius Prime noise generator except once next to a wall. For me, the cabin remains quiet in ordinary traffic.

Based on the history of these noise makers, a lot of time and effort was wasted on something that does not improve the safety of the vehicle and driver. In contrast, pedestrian detection and collision avoidance systems do.

The sad thing is A-pillar blocking of pedestrians remains a real yet unquantified hazard.

Bob Wilson