1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What maintenance to keep my 280K km/175K mile gen2 on the road?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MB31, Mar 1, 2019.

1. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2005 Gen2 was Toyota dealer maintained since the beginning and has had its last service 2 years ago at 235K KM (145K miles). Shortly after this I purchased it.

Last year I did an oil and oil filter change myself and placed a new interior filter.

Right now it is at 280K km (175K miles) and it needs new brake discs in the front. A good time to see if it would be smart to include other maintenance as I plan not to do it myself this time (am also not planning on taking it to the Toyota dealer).

As the car has a lot of miles I am not looking to keep it as new. But I would like to keep it on the road for as long as I can with as little effort as possible (don't we all ;-)

Does anybody have any good tips on maintenance I should definitely consider doing right now? Things that come to mind are another oil change, replacing spark plugs? air filter? fuel filter?

I drive roughly 20.000 KM (12.500 miles) a year, mostly commuting.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replace the transaxle ATF if you don't see that was done in the prior service records.

Review the 100K and 120K mile services (or the equivalent km services) to ensure the engine coolant, inverter/transaxle coolant, and iridium spark plugs were replaced as required. The coolant should have been replaced again at 150K miles.

Inspect the engine coolant pump and replace if there are any signs of coolant weeping at the bearing, which produces a pinkish powdery deposit sprayed around the inside of the pump pulley and deposited upon the AC compressor housing. Replace the serpentine drive belt at 75K mile intervals.

When was the inverter coolant pump last replaced? Replace that at 100K mile intervals as a preventive measure.

What is the condition of the front struts and rear shocks? What is the condition of the coil springs? How about the sway bar bushings? Replace as needed.

johnjohnchu, SFO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Might be the perfect time for a prolong charger

4. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you, I will look into this.

Concerning looking into the services, unfortunately I don't have any other records than the dealer stamps in the service booklet that came with the car. I was under the impression that 'dealer maintained' meant it would have had all required service but that may be a bit naive. I will contact them to see if I can find out what has been done but as it is not near me and I wont be servicing there I could imagine them being reluctant to share this info... I am guessing there is no other way to find this out.

5. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I should mention that I have a defective cell a little over year ago and had the battery replaced for a refurbished one. Don't know if that means I won't need this charger but I will look into it.

6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you put in a refurbished one, you should look into the Prolong equipment more so as a refurbished battery is not a usually sustained repair :(.

Who was the new to your Prius battery from?

7. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    You can get maintenance records on https://toyota.com/owners
    You'll get every dealer maintenance record from any dealer.

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From any US dealer; however the OP is in Europe so that will not help him.

9. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, Patrick. I wasn't aware of that and I didn't notice the location. Seems weird of Toyota to not make this available in Europe.

10. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I went to 'a guy' who refurbishes batteries for prius and civic. He swapped my full battery (all cells) for one on his shelf that he previously 'fixed' by replacing bad cell(s) and doing whatever to make it work again :)

The price for this was 500 Euros which is the same as a Prolong charger from what I can tell after some Googling (excluding international shipping that I would probably need).

Do you really think this would be a smart investment on a 2005 prius with 175k miles? There is a chance my next car will also be a prius but probably the gen3.

11. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will call Toyota tomorrow and am trying to find translations for your suggestions.

Can you explain what inverter/transaxle coolant is? Or is this something Prius specific? I have trouble finding this. Same goes for the "inverter coolant pump". Are these things any local maintenance shop can do?

Concerning the front struts, the rubber is broken and almost gone but I don't notice anything while driving. I posted a topic on a Dutch forum about this and the advice was to leave it like this until they brake and then replace the struts.

I don't know the condition of the coil springs and the sway bar bushings. Is this something you definitely want to replace before it breaks?

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the following discussion, "left" and "right" is from the point of view standing at the rear of the car and facing forward.

inverter/transaxle coolant: The inverter is located under the shiny aluminum cover on the left side of the engine compartment. The coolant reservoir is mounted next to the inverter. This is common to all Toyota hybrid vehicles. The coolant flows through both the inverter and the transaxle.

inverter coolant pump: this is located immediately behind the left headlight assembly, and in front of the main relay/fuse box located to the left of the inverter.

If a maintenance shop is not familiar with Toyota hybrids then I would not trust service of hybrid components to such a shop.

strut top insulator rubber is broken: OK, those parts probably are original equipment. If you are satisfied with the vehicle handling and ride as-is then it is not necessary to take any action. If a coil spring is broken you may notice the car is sagging at that corner. The sway bar bushings, if worn, may make knocking sounds as the front tires go from the road to your driveway.

MB31 likes this.
  13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota SLLC (Super Long Life Coolant) Toyota part number 00272-SLLC2. This is the same fluid used in the engine coolant loop, too.
    Inverter Coolant Pump, Pump Assy, Water Toyota part number G9020-47031.

Hope that helps.

MB31 likes this.
  14. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Took me some time to get a hold of them but here we are:

Engine coollant was replaced at 150K KM and should be replaced again at 240K (was not and am now at 280)
    Invertor coolant same story, was replaced at 150, should be replaced at 240 but was not and am now at 280.

So I guess I need to do both asap. Some questions:

- Is this easy to do myself? Am no expert at all but have changed oil, brake discs before (so that is my level...)
    - I will have a holiday next week where I will be driving +/- 1000 KM at once and a week later the same trip back. Mostly level, freeways, last part though some mountains but nothing too steep. Is this a bad idea? I have the option to take a different car...

Besides this you suggested to look at the coolant pump which should be behind the headlight assembly before the fuse box but I don't see it, is it below there? See picture:
    [​IMG]

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your Prius is operating normally, there is no problem traveling on mountainous terrain. I've driven my Prius up to Pikes Peak in Colorado, 14K feet elevation.

Your photo with the red marking shows exactly where the pump is located.

It is not very difficult to replace the engine or inverter coolant. Your car does not have the engine coolant heat recovery system which is installed in North American Prius. There are many posts about how to do this work, or else you can locate the factory repair manual info on the Toyota Europe website.

Toyota Service Information

16. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks I'll look into that on the forum.

Toyota advises my to do an annual maintenance that includes all liquids such as oil and coolants which is priced at 409 euro. The front brake discs add another 390 euro's.

Am contemplating to bring the car to a local shop for the brakes (225 euro) and do the liquids myself.

But I don't have time to do this before my trip so it means I would be driving a great distance on very old coolant and that was why I was wondering of this is a problem.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That seems like overly long interval. In the US Toyota recomends:

Initial engine coolant change at 100K miles, then every 50K (80K kms) miles thereafter.

Initial inverter coolant change at 150K miles, then every 50K miles thereafter.

So basically, once both initial circuits have been changed, every 80K kms thereafter. (Or 5 years, whichever comes first.)

18. MB31

MB31 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Strange that it is different, but 80K vs 90K is not that big a difference right?

Whichever it is, I do need to change it that's for sure :)

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh oh, my early morning, pre-coffee math isn't very good. I just saw "two big numbers, very far apart". :oops:

Dank je. :)

MB31 likes this.
  20. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like the first change might have been done early also. Probably the intervals are 160K, 240K, 320K, etc. and the first was just early.