1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What mileage hit with v?

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by hoddy4, Feb 20, 2012.

1. hoddy4

hoddy4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have seen posts here and elsewhere about the mileage hit with the v and how some people might not be willing to accept that hit. I just got back from a round trip from Wilmington NC to Charlotte NC in my v level 3. It is a little over 4 hours each way of mostly highway driving. I averaged over 50mpg on the the trip which is consistent with the over 52mpg that I had been averaging around the Wilmington area. I previously had a 2005 Prius that would do about the same. As long as you can keep the v in the ECO range and utilize the EV mode when it is available, I don't see where there is any significant drop in mpg. The only technique that I use with both cars is coasting where appropriate. The v allows me to have a mini-mini van and average 50mpg.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now do the same trip in a GenIII liftback and get back to us. ;)

Besides, you averaged this over one trip. I'm sure the lifetime average would be slightly lower than a GenII and even lower than the GenIII liftback.

3. hoddy4

hoddy4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I've gotten over 2000 miles on the v and the average is over 50mpg. Like all of the Prius models, the mpg is dependent on many factors including driving style and route. I would not be surprised if the Gen. 3 hatchback got better mileage but my Gen. 2 does not seem to. I guess my point is that the v performs much better than the EPA numbers would suggest.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear ya. :)

The GenII was only rated at 45mpg highway so it's conceivable that the v could match the mpg of the GenII depending on conditions. My GenII regularly gets 50-53mpg highway at 65mph and 55+mpg at 60mph. The smaller engine really hurts efficiency of the GenII when driven at highway speeds. The v has the larger more efficient engine but is heavier and less aerodynamic so it all sort of evens out depending on driving style and conditions. Remember that most people are not getting 50+mpg in the v much like not everyone gets 50+mpg in the GenII. :)

5. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    A word of note though, the Gen II is not the same drive train as the Gen III/Prius v. The Prius v scores a lower EPA because of the drag coefficient (higher profile) and heavier weight than the Gen III model.

Also, if I recall correctly, the Gen IIIs have the EV Mode, which I think the Gen IIs people were hacking their Prius in order to get EV Mode. While the Gen III ev mode is governed, it doesn't prevent people from hypermiling their cars.

Gencat, I think, has a Prius v and his record so far was 55 mpg on a Prius v. That comes down to how he drives and also the conditions he has, and that, I believe, is with an unmodded/unhacked Prius v.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    EV mode is not very useful for hypermiling. There are very few instances where it is truly helpful. :)

I'm not sure if the Japanese record holders (115mpg and 118mpg) used EV mode at all but it didn't appear that they did despite EV mode being standard on some non-USA cars.

7. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think, though, part of it is how the US models have governors on the Electric side to insure the battery life. I mean, isn't that the reasoning why Enginer, for instance, can get away with the modification as it doesn't intrusively affect the drive train? The extra battery pack just suppliment charges the standard battery, prolonging the EV usage, but the fact the Prius' electric motor is governed that you can't pull more power out of it, therefore does not void the warranty on your car installing this modification.

8. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am trying to rent a Prius from a Phoenix dealership and they might only have a Prius v. I was heartbroken (long road trip, mpg matters). But if it can get 50mpg, that would be golden.

9. Guill

Guill Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    +1 I also get much better than EPA mileage with my Prius v. I'm averaging 48mpg during my daily 70-mile round-trip commute.

10. hoddy4

hoddy4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Try the Power mode for a while. I'm getting even better mileage (in the mid 50s) with it. See if you get similar results for your driving.

11. pattengd

pattengd New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Prius V Two first tank was 501.5 miles. The computer said 54.5 MPG but the fill of 9.833 gallons puts it at 51.0 MPG. 75% of miles were city freeway commute. Outside temps were 30-70 degrees. No AC was needed also very little heat.