1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What mods do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Jeffrey99, May 16, 2006.

1. Jeffrey99

Jeffrey99 New Member

I've had my Prius for about 2 weeks now..and after tinting the windows and getting all weather mats...the only other thing I really want is Sirius Sat. Radio. But I'm not gonna buy it till I hear that they have fixed the static issue, or someone finds a way to fix it. So my question is what mods would you highly recommend? I also have a couple questions...

1)will the BT stiffening plate help the car be more stable @ interstate speeds with crosswinds? About a week ago here in Indiana we had some stormy weather...and it seemed that with the crosswind the car was all over the road..

2)what is EV mode? and how does it work?

3)I leave for work at 5:00AM...with the dimmer switch all the way up the dash leaves a green glow on the windshield..right now I just have it dimmed just a little..takes almost all of it away..just didn't know if anyone had a easy fix for this so the dimmer switch can be all the way up..

just so you know I drive 90% interstate & 10% highway for 40 miles one way to work...

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The only thing I've put on mine so far is the Mud Flaps, and I recommend them. The Prius can really kick up gunk on the sides without them.

In hindsight, I kind of wish I'd put some clear-bra type material on the hood. It seems to collect chips more easily than any other vehicle I've ever had.

3. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeffrey99 @ May 16 2006, 06:39 AM) [snapback]256158[/snapback]</div>
    Many of us have installed a more generic Sirius radio (no control from steering wheel or song names on MFD), and love it. It plays through the AUX input in the console, so the sound is perfect, and its much cheaper than the Toyota option.

4. Jeffrey99

Jeffrey99 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ May 16 2006, 04:04 PM) [snapback]256454[/snapback]</div>
    Does it come with it's own box to show song/artist names? Or is it just hidden in the console? To be honest I don't pay much attention to artist/song names anyway, but would like the ability to look and see who it is. Do you have a webiste for it? That actually doesn't sound like a bad option.

5. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I have a Pioneer AirWare XM radio. It sits in a cradle (mine is clipped onto the air vent), and it can also plug into your home stereo, and you can carry it around and listen to it (as long as you are ourdoors). They will likely be selling cheap now that Pioneer has come out with the Inno (MP3 capability and color display). Of course, if you're set on Sirius that doesn't help. I don't know if they make a comparable Sirius radio.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

7. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

8. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 16 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]256475[/snapback]</div>

I'm assuming that you use the fm modulator??? Is it possible to plug it into the mp3 jack like you can with the ipod? I have used a ipod fm modulator before and am not completely happy with it....live around dallas so there are quite a few radio stations that always interfere with reception. I love my xm but when I get the prius I will be loosing it. Just curious if you can plug it without anymore adapters.

9. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Erik @ May 16 2006, 08:37 PM) [snapback]256574[/snapback]</div>
    I have the aux jack, so I plug it in directly. It also has a built-in FM transmitter, but the sound is better using the audio in. I did have to use a ground loop filter to eliminate some line noise, though- that was only a problem when the power plug was plugged into the 12VDC socket, but since I wanted to be able to charge it in the car I added the filter.

10. Jeffrey99

Jeffrey99 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 16 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]256475[/snapback]</div>
    As of right now I'm set on Sirius...I used to have XM.. loved it..but then they cancelled Liquid Metal(the hardrock/metal station)...so now Sirius is the only Sat. radio with a metal station.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(talonts @ May 16 2006, 07:16 PM) [snapback]256543[/snapback]</div>
    I plan on getting some new tires before winter hits..I knew the Integritys were bad...but I didn't realize they were that bad :)

11. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeffrey99 @ May 16 2006, 08:30 PM) [snapback]256591[/snapback]</div>

Just so you know.....xm brought back the Liquid Metal station......welcome back to xm!!!! :)

12. Jeffrey99

Jeffrey99 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Erik @ May 16 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]256604[/snapback]</div>
    Holy crap...they did bring it back..now that leaves me a hard decision to make...do I want the best metal station(XM) or Howard, Bubba the love sponge, and a mediocre metal station(Sirius)

13. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Since I live in town, the most used mod is the EV switch. I live in a small sub-division about 1 mile from the main street. I drive home in EV and out in EV everyday.

That's my favorite, but I love all the mods that I've done especially the speakers and sub-woofer.

---Kent

14. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeffrey99 @ May 17 2006, 04:45 AM) [snapback]256746[/snapback]</div>
    If you want to do a nice clean install on the Sat Radio check out http://www.factoryinteractive.com/ I got their XM unit and it's great.

15. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeffrey99 @ May 16 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]256469[/snapback]</div>
    Its just an Audiovox unit that I bought at Brandsmart:
    SIR-PNP3
    They sell the same/similar units all over, even Radio Shack. I have mine mounted inside the console, for easy access to the AUX jack and power outlet, and I rarely look at the song name/artist. However, others have done a nice installation on that panel right in front of the console, below the dash.

16. Jeffrey99

Jeffrey99 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ May 17 2006, 01:10 PM) [snapback]256951[/snapback]</div>
    Ok this may be a dumb question..but I've only had Sirius in a aftermarket head unit, which also needed a big tuner box. Is the only thing I need to get this to work is a radio and a car kit? Do I not need a tuner box? or do the new PNP radios have tuners built in? Do all the new PNP radios have the option to plug it in to the AUX jack? I just don't think its worth $300 to have it read in thru the MFD display...so looking at all options to get Sirius.

17. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Looking at the Sirius website, there are several to chose from. I know that priusguy04 has a model that costs only $49. That one, I don't think, will let you plug in to the AUX jack as it's designed to use its FM transmitter.

18. Jeffrey99

Jeffrey99 New Member

btw...was just wondering...does anyone know of any website that has pictures of a installed PNP unit in the space below the cd changer? That sounds like a cool idea..tried searching the forums but no luck..