1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What NAV system for older parents?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by qbee42, Jun 5, 2008.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My 85 year old parents have decided they need a GPS NAV system. I'm not sure why, since they are getting to the point of not taking big trips, or at least shouldn't be taking long driving trips. Need aside, what after-market GPS NAV systems do you people like, and why? Make and model information will help a lot.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Anything in the Garmin Nuvi series. Touchscreen, text to speech and very easy to program. Also one of the highest regarded units on the market.

3. doubleg2005

doubleg2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i got my wife a TomTom XL and she really likes it. the only bad part is the maps are at least 3 years outdated... so for about 99% of roadways, everything is great. but that 1% can sometimes save you miles and/or time

4. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    For US applications Garmin software is far superior to TomTom's.

5. GreenIsGood

GreenIsGood New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Garmin Nuvi 350 works like a dream, very very easy and intuitive. I'm guessing the more recent models (I think you can get a 200 for about $130) would be a good choice, too. If my built-in Prius nav system worked half as well, I would be happy indeed.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love my TomTom ONE XL for its simplicity. My dad has a TomTom ONE which has only been in the car for the ride home from the shops, no I don't know why he bought it.

Of course older people who have not had children might find a different GPS more appropriate.

7. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Garmin Nuvi, or C-series street pilot. Best maps, largest POI database, easiest to use.

Don't get 'em the Prius Nav. It's beyond frustrating.

8. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Speaking as a 69 y/o male, I love my Garmin Nuvi 200W. It has everything I need and is easy to use.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We have the Prius NAV, so I'm familiar with that. It's not that bad, but Toyota could learn a lot from Garmin when it comes to user interface and ease of use. I own three Garmin GPS systems, but I've never used one of their street systems.

Thanks for all of the suggestions from all of the posters. This helps narrow the field. I'm thinking of getting my folks one of the store display models; the empty ones with a printed image on the display. ;)

Tom