1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What non-Cruise-Control mileage does the HCH get?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Potential Buyer, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

I've test-driven the Civic Hybrid a few times, but I noticed the current MPG indicator consistently says I'm getting 22-25 MPG when I'm cruising at a fixed speed at 80 mph without CC on. I never use CC since I enjoy driving and I tend to pass cars often anyway, which involves changing speed often (but I didn't do that at all during the test-drive).

The one I last test-drove had 95 miles on the odometer before I started, and was displaying a trip mileage of 28.~ MPG. I drove about 8 miles on the test drive, returned, and it then said the trip mileage was 26.~ MPG.

The Prius, on the other hand, had excellent mileage without using cruise-control at all, going at least 80 mph on the highway.

My question is: when people claim the HCH has good mileage, are they only basing it on its cruise-control performance?

2. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well.. sine the civic hch you test drove didnt have very many miles.. i'd say that the engine wasn't broken-in enough to get accurate mpg. but then again. i got 40's when i first got me prius.

3. Potential Buyer

I don't think breaking in the engine would double the mileage, and I was getting half what people report.

4. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Don't know much about the CIVIC., but the Prius will beat the mileage, even at 80 MPH w/o cruise IF you watch the car's MFD (display screen), you will do better, I'd say between 35 and 40 MPG. 80 MPH is a bit fast, remember the EPA numbers are for 55 MPH under ideal conditions. At 70 MPH mostly with hills and such with AC full blast, o/s temp in 95-100 in TEXAS, I see 49-50 MPG. The cruise some claim robs MPG because if you watch your road, you can control and get better performance, by inducing coasting and re-charge better than the cruise control, because the computer of the car randomly switches between charge and boost, and only coasts in modes where speed is not needed due to downhill or such. A lot of the TOP MILERS here hate the cruise control. I use it because I want to concentrate on other stuff besides just squeezing out the most, so I will turn it over to the cruise control. Sometimes I take the control and do it, with hills especially, I think the driver will do it better. But the Prius will very likely do better in mileage, and certainly gives you a lot more. Toyota's design has really done a good job on performance.

5. myride

myride Junior Member

i thought the epa numbers for highway was 45 mph?? i might be wrong

6. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

EPA RATINGS for the PRIUS (don't know the CIVIC's)

50 MPG highway
    61 MPG in town

7. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

EPA tests..go to web site, speeds used as far as I know is:

but it is 45 MPH for intown driving
    and 55 MPH for highway driving

8. Potential Buyer

I don't care what the EPA ratings are since they have nothing to do with what one actually gets. I was wondering what one actually gets with the HCH without cruise-control, particularly at 70 or 80 mph.

9. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

I answered you, AT 80 MPH YOU WILL GET ABOUT 35-40 MPG, W/O CRUISE.

"Don't know much about the CIVIC., but the Prius will beat the mileage, even at 80 MPH w/o cruise IF you watch the car's MFD (display screen), you will do better, I'd say between 35 and 40 MPG. 80 MPH is a bit fast, remember the EPA numbers are for 55 MPH under ideal conditions. At 70 MPH mostly with hills and such with AC full blast, o/s temp in 95-100 in TEXAS, I see 49-50 MPG. The cruise some claim robs MPG because if you watch your road, you can control and get better performance, by inducing coasting and re-charge better than the cruise control, because the computer of the car randomly switches between charge and boost, and only coasts in modes where speed is not needed due to downhill or such. A lot of the TOP MILERS here hate the cruise control."

10. saechaka

saechaka Member

Well I used to have the HCH so I thought I'd input my own results. I use to drive from Seattle to Portland often. I would use cc and found the best spot for cc was around 73mph roughly at around 40mpg roughly. Anything higher and I found the mpg just tanked. I tried 75mph and would get high 30's mpg. I recalled if I went 80mph I would get mid to low 30's. I find that on the freeways I get about 5-8mpg better than HCH and in the city around 8-10mpg. It may not be much but it really felt like I made a big jump in terms of mpg. Thats not to say I didn't enjoy the HCH. Hope that helps

11. Potential Buyer

IALTMANN, I think you were talking about the Prius, but I already know about the Prius. I just don't know how people could get over 25 mpg with the Civic Hybrid without driving very slowly and using CC.

saechaka: Thanks for posting. Your information seems in line with what I observed, considering I was going faster and without CC. Disappointing, but maybe the '06 HCH will fare better.

12. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    In our recent CA to PA trip in my Civic Hybrid, we averaged about 48MPG at I90 legal speeds (65 - 75 depending on state). Mine is a 2003 with a 5-speed manual transmission.