1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What other brand, model did you consider when shopping Prius (liftback)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Mar 8, 2015.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hopefully this thread hasn't already been posted, but I didn't find a similar in one search.

So, what other brand and model did or are you shopping along with the Prius liftback mostly, but the other Prius' are ok to comment if you specify.

Thanks

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I'm embarrassed to admit I actually looked at a Hybrid Honda Accord, a Hybrid Nissan Altima, and the Toyota Camry Hybrid. Rejected all because they either were "cheaped out" or not as well designed to be flexible.

3. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I actually looked at a Accord hybrid as well along with a Prius v and settled with a gen three.:D H

#3 HaroldW, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    none, i was driving a taurus, had heard a bout the prius and desperately wanted one. couldn't believe that someone had finally come up with new technology after 100+ years.

5. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Strangely enough, a Subaru Outback.

We'd just sold our old SUV and were looking for something practical but also reasonably fuel efficient.

Obviously, the Prius was unreasonably fuel efficient. Since we'd never actually sat in or driven a Prius I decided to hit the Toyota dealership first, to see if it would work for us.

[Edit: We actually went in to look at the Prius v, for the extra utility but opted for the hatch primarily because of the better fuel mileage and adequate interior space)]

#5 css28, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  6. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We were trading in a V8 SUV that we loved so we were all over the map within a certain budget... used RAV4-V6, new Sonata, and the Prius was sort of a wildcard as it was MUCH more expensive (but that was offset by the 0% financing and MPG). Eventually it was my wife's final decision as she was the primary driver and she chose the Prius. And I'm glad she did, has been the PERFECT car for our commuting needs since then.

I never even considered another maker's hybrids, Toyota is the leader in that segment and I had no interest in settling for anything less than my best, most proven and reliable option if we were going to get a hybrid.

7. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was seriously conflicted. My dream was a 2001-3 M5, but couldn't get past the gas mileage and potential maintenance being an older car. I strongly considered a 2004 Passat TDI wagon, but research showed these cars being a ticking $-time bomb (transmissions, camshafts, oil pump all have a high probability of failure). In the end, I narrowed it to a Prius and Camry Hybrid.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good stuff. Keep it coming

9. Starbrand

Starbrand Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    after the jeep liberty died, I was actually looking at more jeeps. preferably a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, and then I would lift it.

Then wife convinced me to go smaller since commute is an hr. So I started looking at the Ford Fiesta and Chevy Sonic. I know they are a lot cheaper, but then realized when shopping for small tikes, you sort of get what you pay for... More shaky at higher speeds, less room, American built (sorry), etc.

So I went with GenIII Prius because of its longevity, child safety, family friendly, and fun car to drive. Didnt really get it for its great gas, I just like the way it looked. Gas is a plus though. I was a fan of the VW Golf GTI when growing up, so this was a good alternative.

And NO, I must be in the dark... but had no clue of the social stigma that the Prius had. Even my Jeep friends had no clue. Must be a region-thing for all that "Prius Hate".

10. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That stigma is very regional. I live near an Ivy League College and a major Medical Center, Prii are everywhere, they are just "efficient cars," not a statement.

11. jry423

jry423 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I work at a chevy dealer, so the Volt was definitely a contender. In the end, I've had multiple toyotas, and I just liked the prius better. My wife drives a Traverse, so I can say I own a chevy when Im asked at work.

12. Dalamar

Dalamar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I traded in my 2014 Accord 6 speed sedan on my 2011, i loved that car, super fun to drive, comfortable.....but i drive 40k a year for work, and at 10 months old it had 37k miles and lifetime mpg was 28.9 (and I also have an 05 rx8 6speed and a 14 silverado crew cab for fun)

So to cut costs, I looked at:
    gen 1 insight, to small
    crz, to small
    gen 2 insight, uncomfortable and the center console storage is nonexistent

So I looked at a prius and it was a perfect fit for my uses.

Also if you want a fun Honda Accord, carmax in fort myers florida is selling it :/
    very depressing to see it up there.....i am within my return time frame though.......

HaroldW likes this.
  13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    '04 Toyota Prius -- now owned by daughter
    '12 Lexus CTh -- traded in
    '12 Prius (v)agon

The latest car we bought is a Honda Fit, that my wife and I both like very much.
    However, if the upcoming Prius has AWD and we still live in snow country I'll likely trade.
    Otherwise I'll be sensible and just fit the car with snow tyres :)

14. Tandem Rider

Tandem Rider Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It was between a Prius V and lift back for me. Took liftback for mileage and lower purchase price.

15. J.Ringo

J.Ringo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Snow tires > AWD, any day of the week if you're actually driving in snow.

HaroldW likes this.
  16. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mazda5, Golf, Impreza,

17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  18. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When I first began looking for a car to replace my 1996 Legacy when it was totalled in 2010, the following used cars were on my list for consideration:

Lexus IS250
    Subaru Legacy
    Subaru Outback
    Hyundai Elantra
    Hyundai Sonata
    Prius gen II
    Toyota Corolla
    Jetta TDI

I ended up getting a 2006 Acura TSX after falling in love with shifting the smooth 6-speed.

I then got married and wanted to replace the wife's 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix, and the following cars were considered:

Nissan Leaf
    Subaru Outback
    Prius gen III
    Hyundai Sonata
    Jetta TDI

The more I thought about wanting to do long road trips and have the option to sleep inside if the weather was bad, the list really only pointed to the Prius. I finally found our 2012 PiP in January on CL. I had been watching for the right one for over a year.

Now that I've installed a 50A 240v outlet in the garage, I'm looking to replace the TSX with an EV. I'm so satisfied with plugging in that I want a pure EV for commutes and around town. It will probably be another year or so before I find the right EV for the right price, and it will probably be a 2013 Leaf.

At least I'll still have the motorcycle for fun.

cycledrum likes this.
  19. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    BMW E91 wagon, WRX STI, Camry Hybrid, and Honda Insight. In the end, it was either the BMW or the Prius... The WRX and Camry was easy to rule out due to cargo space(hatchback).

20. Mbarton557

Mbarton557 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I traded in a 2011 Prius 3 and bought a 2013 4Runner. Keept it a mounth and a half. Traded it back for a 2014 Prius 4 w Solar roof. Love it!