1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What part number larger oil filter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by problemchild, Dec 30, 2009.

1. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I saw somewhere a while ago that some people were using a larger mobil 1 filter for extended drains. Do any of you know what that mobil one part number is for the larger than stock oil filter?

2. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK I think I found it with google. The mobil m1-209? I compared this filter to the 103. I could see the blue check valve in the stock size 103 but did not see the check valve in the 209. Can anyone confirm the 209 is OK to use and has a check valve. Also the 209 seal area is larger then the 103 but quite a bit. The two contact areas of the filters almost do not touch.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not familiar with the Mobil oil filters.

However in general, I understand the concept of using a longer filter (with same canister circumference) to realize more filtering area. I do not understand the concept of using a filter with larger circumference, since as you pointed out the sealing area will be different and you'll run some risk of an oil leak.

4. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a 2007 Prius (Touring). I use the M1-209 filter - works just fine. The PureOne PL20195 is also a suitable oversized filter.

When I checked, the bypass pressure matched and the center hole matched. The major diameter of the gasket is bigger with the oversized filters, but the mating surface on the engine block is plenty large.

I'd strongly suggest using the cap wrenches for removal of the filter - the oversized ones make it harder to get your hand in there to remove the filter without it.

Dino33ca likes this.
  5. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Good thread info BTW. Your flag distorts my vision for some reason.:confused: Very hard to look at.

Dino33ca likes this.
  6. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I found this in another thread, and thought it would also be relevant here:
    Thank you Kohnen for your informative posts both here and elsewhere.
    I also had an MG 301-1 installed. It is indeed much larger than OEM.
    I took some pictures in case anyone is interested in how an oversize filter fits in the engine compartment:

[​IMG]
    As seen from above

[​IMG]
    As seen from the right wheel well

[​IMG]
    As seen from the left wheel well

One sees: plenty of room around the filter, and plenty of ground clearance for normal on-road driving.

(And by the way, contrary to the advertising hype, a MicroGreen filter will not make the oil last much longer than with an ordinary filter. But it is a good filter.)

Dino33ca likes this.
  7. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Anyone know if there is an oversize filter that TRD makes for the gen2 Prii?

8. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For the overkill oil filter fanatics: Royal Purple 20-400
    I put that purple monster filter in at my last oil change.