1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What percentage of Prius sales is to fleets / rental companies?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Jan 11, 2013.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was talking with a Honda rep at the Silicon Valley auto show today about the Accord Plug-in hybrid on display, but not open. ....

I told him I was interested in Honda making a 'full' hybrid more like the Toyota hybrids. Said I didn't mean to be rude, but it was a mild bummer how the Honda hybrids, Civic, CR-Z, Insight only totaled about 15k in sales last year ... and yes, I rubbed in how Prius family sold about 240k units here....

the rep started to say .... 'Toyota sells that many hybrids because they sell most of them to fleets and rental companies ... and how Honda hybrids retain higher resale values because they don't sell their hybrids to fleets, blah, blah"

It sounded like snow to me.

Anyone know about what percentage of Prius liftbacks are sold off to non-consumers, fleets and all?

TIA

2. Vas25tl

Vas25tl Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't know the actual figure but she clearly doesn't know what she is talking about. I just saw a 2011 cr-z with 34k miles on a lot for $12,995. Who holds their value better?

But Honda does does not sell nearly as many vehicles to fleets. They have a corporate rule against it. If a dealer sells 40 cars one month to a company and does this regularly, they may end up losing their allocation of getting some of those vehicles back.

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know San Diego Gas and Electric has a few Gen 2's some of them with plugs on the rear bumper(PHEV?). I'm pretty sure resale on the Prius is still higher than the Honda Hybrids. I have a friend that works at a BMW dealer and they took a 2011 CRZ in on trade from someone who was getting a 3 series hybrid for better MPG....dont know anymore details though but dealers down here cant move Insights, especially since the C came out with similar room but better MPG