1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What problems can I expect?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by olddude, Jul 23, 2017.

1. olddude

olddude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have read on this forum somewhere, can't find it now. That the Prius likes to be driven and it's when it's not that the most problems arise. I have a 2010 with 85k. Up until 3 years ago it was racking up the miles. Now it's rarely driven.....maybe 5000 a year. Should I expect more problems? I've been considering trading for a Camry or Corolla to increase my reliability if it's going to be a problem. What do you all think?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you don't drive it every couple days, you should use a battery tender on the 12v.

other than that, there's a small possibility that your hybrid battery might go out of balance in another few years, but it's unusual, and hard to predict.
    you can buy a balancer for about $400. if you're so inclined, just drive and not worry, or trade for an efficient gasser.
    all good choices, and really depends on your comfort level.

3. olddude

olddude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes I've already had the 12 volt battery go bad on me since I retired. Dealer said probably from non use, but it was the original and I'm thinking 7 years and 85k it was about due anyway. I'm basically cheap and when I look at trading it will cost me 3000 or 4000 ata dealer to get a Camry or corolla that's really worth about the same as mine. I've tried the CL route looking to trade but nobody is interested. I guess I'll just keep it and hope for the best.

m.wynn, CNYhybrid and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what i would do, good luck!(y)

5. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What bisco said. Keep a small 12v source in the car to jump start just in case, and drive it as needed. If the 5000 miles is reasonably spread out, I would not expect any problems.

6. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Think about it this way - what does the Prius have that can go bad that other cars don't? Only the main traction battery. And if the main traction battery goes bad? Then the ICE runs more just like on the conventional vehicle. I would just keep the Prius and keep a BatteryMinder on the 12v battery. And the BatteryMinder is the specific brand I would recommend because it is designed to desulfinate the battery as well as keep it charged.

7. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Prius is one of the most reliable vehicles on the road.

8. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dealerships are still selling 85K mile Pruises (2010s) between $9000 and $12,000.

I would clean it up real good, list it for $10,995.....and see if you can get $9500-$10,500 before price plummets by a few thousand over the next couple years!