1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what services do i need

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kh060, Apr 10, 2008.

1. kh060

kh060 New Member

Ok there is a sticky on what service you need and dont but i am still not very good at this stuff. Can someone please let me know using that the sticky's #1-8

I bought my prius year 2004 at about 56k miles and now i have 155k miles on it. I have been driving it about 160 miles total a day 5 days a week to go to work and back and will keep on doing it for another year and a half. I have been doing just the oil changes and thats it. Should i do all #1-8 or just some, i dont know. Thanks

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm not a mechanic but 1,3 & 4 sound prudent based on your mileage.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would add #7, the PCV valve, if this has not been recently changed. If the original is still installed, I am sure that it is plugged by now.

I would suggest cleaning the throttle body/throttle plate if you have driveability issues. If not, then that would be OK to defer.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1, 3, 4, and 7 for sure. it's time to change out your fluids and a PCV is very cheap insurance.

next time you get some new tires for it, do 2 and 8. the rear brake clean/adjust will be cheaper when they've already taken those wheels off for something else. and you always want to align your wheels with new tires.

if the throttle seems sticky, then throttle cleaner is probably worth it. otherwise skip it.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now that we've discussed items 1-8 from Galaxee's sticky list, lets add a few items not on that list for your consideration:
    • Replace iridium spark plugs
    • Replace engine air and cabin air filters (if dirty)
    • Replace serpentine drive belt & inspect engine coolant pump
    • Listen to valvetrain and consider adjusting if noisy
    • Inspect radiator hoses & replace if they are not pliable (squeeze the hoses) or if you see any cracking; look especially at the top hose which will get hotter than the bottom hose
    • Inspect exhaust system for cracks, holes, corrosion etc.
    • Inspect front struts/rear shocks and replace if you see substantial oil leakage on the body
    • Consider replacing the engine coolant pump and inverter coolant pump as preventive measures since you've gotten considerable service out of both, and probably would not be happy if either failed on your 80 mile (one-way) daily commute.

6. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I agree with Mr. Wong. Replace belts, hoses, coolant pump/s as noted. Especially replace those spark plugs. This will all cost you a pretty penny, but it should get you another 100k miles.

On my "normal" cars I would replace the thermostat and radiator cap too. Cheap parts that can cause you quite a headache if they fail on the road.

BTW what mileage are you getting on your 155k mile Prius?