1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What should brakes sound like at slow speeds?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PYTPrius, Sep 25, 2017.

1. PYTPrius

PYTPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi. I have a 2010 Prius, and I’m wondering what the brakes should sound like when slowly coming to a stop when the engine is off and it’s quiet around, like pulling into a driveway. Like when the pads are engaged.

This question doesn’t pertain to times after it’s rained because I know that can cause a noise until the temporary rust is gone.

Mine is making a noise. I’m not sure if I’d call it a grinding noise but some kind of friction noise. I have a bad memory and for the life of me, I can’t remember what they sounded like when I bought the car earlier this year or even a month ago.

Also, does anyone know how much Toyota would charge to inspect the brake pads, rotors, etc.?

Thanks.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    In reverse or in neutral going forward, your friction brakes are in use at all speeds. Just check the sound in either of those cases. You should not hear a grinding sound. Any mechanic can check the condition of your brakes, you don't need to go to the dealer. To do work on the brakes does require some expertise and equipment beyond what your local mechanic has in his garage.

JeffD

WilDavis likes this.
  3. PYTPrius

PYTPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, Jeff. Should there be no sound at all?

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Brakes always make at least a small noise due to friction. They can also squeal, but that means that the pads were not properly "damped". Any grinding noise means that something is digging into the rotors (look for groves on both sides of each rotor).

JeffD

5. PYTPrius

PYTPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks again. I made an appt with the local Toyota dealer to have a look. They’re not gonna charge me for an inspection.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  6. TAXI KARCZEW

TAXI KARCZEW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    I have the same problem like PYTPrius. As far as I can remember it started with the third brake pads change.

This sound happens exactly at the same moment the vehicle comes to a complete stop. I just had my front brake discs and pads replaced and the problem was gone for 3 days, then came back. It disapears after lightly polishing the brake pads with sand paper or after long distance braking in neutral.

I just made a check with my wife's Auris HSD, which was standing outside for some time during rain and had some rust coat on the discs. The exact sound was with the Auris, but was immediately gone after some braking and I just can't figure out, why in hell I need to do more intensive braking on Prius?

As I am a taxi driver, this sound I some what embarassing for me and ruins the entire impression of the car.

Although Toyota claims that my car is not qualified for the ABS recall, I experience the same symptoms, but I am not sure, if both problems are related?