1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What should I do with my oil well?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Bill Merchant, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This isn't a Prius-specific question, but I thought I'd poll the collective wisdom of all you PriusChatters.

I am the owner and operator of an oil well in north-central Tennessee. It's non-producing now but has produced. The well also has natural gas. When the former operator went out of business, I, as the owner of the land the well is on, got the opportunity to become a registered operator. The well was drilled during the last energy crisis, when oil was going for $30-$40 a barrel. :eek:

There aren't any pipelines in the local area and the collection tank has been removed, so now it's just a capped pipe in the ground. But I figure at current oil prices, it might be worth something. The land where the well is located, about 265 acres, is on the Cumberland Plateau about half way between Knoxville and Nashville and is beautiful, with two streams joining under rugged bluffs. I have no interest is living there, though.

So, what are your suggestions?

2. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Try to get a seat on OPEC?

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sell it to the highest bidder and throw a party for all your PriusChat friends? :D

Save it and make your great-great grandchildren rich beyond their wildest dreams?

4. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    when it was on-line what was the monthly production? How much water did the output contain? was it "Sweet Crude" ?

OH move to Beverly Hills :) and change your name to Jeb Clamit.

OH forgot what was the gas production? any "BAD" gas with this well?

OK, with those questions out of the way.. who is the "Major" player in your area that is in the production Biz? Shell, ExxonMobil? depending on the producing rate there might be lots of options...

5. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What was the watercut when it was shut in? Do you own the leases for the remaining 265 acres? Perhaps I'll leave it to Daniel Day Louis (from There Will Be Blood):

"I'm an oilman, ladies and gentlemen. I have numerous concerns spread across this state. I have many wells flowing at many thousand barrels per day, so I like to think of myself as an oilman."

But seriously, you should probably go partners with me, and we will bring the well back on. Just kidding (sorta) :D

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    that is the coolest news of the day :)

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you want to be part of the problem, or of the solution? It might do the world some good to get the gas from it. But please leave the oil in the ground. The faster prices go up the sooner we'll develop alternatives.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think we lack enough information to offer any advice. Do you have the technical and business expertise to operate the well? Are there operators who would be interested in re-opening it? Is there financial risk involved in re-opening it or is it certain to produce a profit? If so, how much? How badly do you need the money? Do you have kids or grandkids you'd like to make rich by leaving them some oil that will likely be fabulously valuable in the future?

If the risk is high or the return is low and if you don't need the money, I'd say leave it in the ground. That's the environmentalist choice. If there's no risk and the return is high, the capitalist way would be to suck it out and spend it. If the potential profit is small, and the land is desirable, you might find the land is worth more than the oil. But if land prices are low and the well has good potential, then the oil is worth more.

So you could sell it, lease the well, operate it yourself, or keep it in the ground for your kids or your grandkids, who will likely sell it and spend the money. But before I could give you any advice, I'd need to know more about the well, your finances, and your feelings about the environment.

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It is almost certain that oil prices will continue to rise. So unless you need the money, you can leave it in the ground and wait.

10. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmm, if it was my well I'd squeeze it for every drop which made a profit to be part of the solution to wean America from relying on foreign oil. I'm surprised Bill you waited this long to explore the possibility of whether the well is feasible. What do you expect from this well? 2, maybe 3 bbls a day? After costs maybe you could expect a nice check each month. An article was on the nightly news about a family who literally drilled (I believe it was in Indiana) in their backyard and struck oil. Not a gusher but they will start making a profit in a few years. Good for them.

Here we go again, anyone and anything that produces oil is evil, only out to make a buck, shame on them... I assume your Prius uses some other form of fuel other than gasoline. Stones and glass houses, pots calling the kettle black. But of course you are better than most because you care and most everyone else is an SUV driving slob.

Oh really? Please clue me in. I have been out of the Global Warming crowd lately (frankly, they bore me). Is natural gas OK now?? Gasoline bad, natural gas good?? Please tell me what the "consensus" is at present?

Nice guy. Hoping fuel prices only rise higher. Tell that to the millions of retirees on fixed incomes, to those who toil 50 or 60 hours a week in blue collar jobs trying to make ends meet, the tens of thousands of independent truckers working endless hours just to purchase diesel, the average joe who now cannot visit his/her elderly parents because it costs too much to fly... Obviously with your financial situation fuel costs are not an issue with you. I, and I don't think I am alone here, can only hope I achieve the wealth level you have to essentially not give a hoot regarding current fuel prices.

Rick
    #4 2006

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No matter what we do, no matter what anybody says or "wishes," the price of oil is going up and up until we bring an alternative on line, whose cost will set the new price level.

Regarding oil, we as a society have two choices:

1. Burn it all as fast as we can. This will very slightly retard the rise in prices so Americans have a little more time to drive their gas guzzlers. But it will leave the next generation with no oil at all for plastics and pharmaceuticals.

2. Stop burning it while there is still some left. This will mean the end of affordable fossil fuel a little bit sooner, and Americans will suffer the inevitable dislocations a little earlier. But the next generation will have a little bit to use for purposes other than transportation.

The me-first generation says #1 is best. Folks who care about their kids and their grand-kids say #2 is best.

But the OP is such a small part of the equation that all the oil in his well would probably last the world for about three one-thousandths of an eyeblink. So his choice is purely personal. And you are 100% correct in saying that nobody who burns gasoline has any right to criticize him if he decides to extract his oil.

When the Exxon Valdez dumped its load of crude oil onto the beaches of Alaska, Greenpeace put out a poster, with the ship's captain's picture on it, and the caption: THIS MAN'S DRIVING DID NOT CAUSE THE OIL SPILL. YOURS DID. The OP and his much bigger cousins in the oil extraction industry are not the problem. Those of us who burn fossil fuel are the problem. (But car companies that use hard-sell and scientific propaganda and lies to get people to buy gas guzzlers are also part of the problem.)

12. fthorn

fthorn From gas hog to greenie to gas hog

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just put it on eBay. Let the market forces work it out.

13. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Be leary of signing away mineral rights to make money. Depending on who the operator is, destroying the surrounding area to maximize profit could easily result. Unfortunately, your well is such small pickings that a good operator is unlikely to be interested.