1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What should I pay for 07 Touring Package #6?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusTouring07, Jul 15, 2007.

1. PriusTouring07

PriusTouring07 New Member

I went on the Prius website and the MSRP comes to $28,219 (with front end mask and glass breakage sensor).
    I also noticed Eco-nomic savings of up to $2000, but no details on that. Does that imply I could get that car for $28,219-$2,000 = $26,219 total?
    Desert Toyota of Las Vegas, as all other Vegas car dealers are crooks to the bone. The as*hole salesman and his "manager" tried to convince me, the price for the car is about $32K. When I showed them the website, they started telling me how this is a base price and just talking all kinds of nonsense trying to confuse me. I told them, I'm not paying a penny over the MSRP on the website, so they finally agreed not to be crooks and sell me the car for that price. But now I'm wondering if I can get it for even less.
    What did you guys who own 07 Touring package #6 pay for your cars?

P.S. I spent over 5 hours on this forum tonight trying to convince myself that I'll be happy with the Prius. Still not 100% convinced. I think on Monday I'll go rent a Prius from the dealership for a day and that'll definitely help with my decision.

2. Elephanthead

Elephanthead Junior Member

I would absolutly rent one for a week. I would not pay MSRP, the discount is right on the windows stickers, or at least it was, I would think $3000 under the sticker price printed by Toyota is reasonable for a package 6. Some people have gotten better. Don't be afraid to call every Toyota dealer, tell them exactly what you want, and what you will pay, get the price in writing before you travel. Alot of dealers are scum, alot are not. Find one that is not.

3. pwalta

pwalta New Member

Things have definitely tightened up in the market over the last 6 to 8 weeks from when we first started looking. We just ordered a package 2 with leather and carpet mats and the very best that I could negotiate was $1000 below MSRP. This was after a lot of e-mails and an in-store session with our local dealer. Most told me they would not bargain below MRSP but I was able to obtain an e-mail quote for $1000 off -- I then asked out local dealer to match it and they did. I would find $3000 off MSRP to be unbelievable right now when gas prices are so high. I do think the idea of renting a Prius for a week is good. Good luck to you. I cannot believe your dealer tried to con you into believing the MSRP was higher than it was. Can you purchase from anyone else locally? I certainly would try to.

4. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusTouring07 @ Jul 15 2007, 04:17 AM) [snapback]479032[/snapback]</div>
    Please do. I second the suggestion to rent one for a week. Also, maybe something is trying to tell you this isn't quite the right time. You might want to wait for the "08s to come out. Unless you really need the car, and it doesn't sound like you do, you can afford to be patient.

5. peldering

peldering New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi.....our Touring with #6 arrived two weeks ago....had to order since we wanted white...that took 3 weeks....Discount on pachkage was $1750.....very pleased with the Prius...To make certain before we ordered we rented one - albeit it was an 2006 non touring....and did about 250 miles! Good Luck

6. liznowen

liznowen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, I bought a non-touring and a package #5. My price was about $1300 off MSRP. I bought about a month ago.

7. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

Touring, welcome to the forum!

I'm sure you can get the discount you want if you look and wait long enough. If you are not sure if you will like the car and are worried about the price, paying more will almost certainly make you like it less.

I've paid MSRP for all 3 of our Prii, but only because I was happy with the price-vs-time trade-off. We got one of the first 8 Prii in our state, an '05 when the waiting list was 6 months, an '06 before the tax credit ran out... all 3 at relatively high-demand times. Since my job is selling cutting-edge gear to high-tech companies, carting my systems-engineer customers around in the latest technology is a "plus" that helps me rationalize the expense.

Also, I don't really care for dealership negotiations much. If I can save $1K by spending 30 hours working with various dealers, I remember the 30 hours more than I remember the $1K savings. What can I say, some folks enjoy the hunt, it just turns out that I do not.

If your price-vs-time trade-off is weighted more toward price, I'd say take your time and wait for your price to come to you.

8. BellaHMB

BellaHMB New Member

Hi!

We just bought the 2007 with package 6, and it was 2000 off the MSP and then we negotiated 1000
    below that to 26.500 by calling the internet/fleet dept. Love it!

Victoria

9. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusTouring07 @ Jul 15 2007, 04:17 AM) [snapback]479032[/snapback]</div>
    Touring editions are not as available as non-Touring edition cars, so you likely saw the dealer attempting to take advantage of the tighter supply. If the dealer has exactly what you are looking for (color & options) in stock and is willing to sell you the car at MSRP less $2,000, I would take the deal - even if your opinion of the dealer is less than agreeable.

What about the Prius is making you uncertain whether you will be happy with your decision? Renting a Prius for a day can help answer questions you have, but some questions may not get answered. In that situation (unanswered questions even after renting the car for a day), you are right back where you started....

10. mtm

mtm New Member

$25800 plus TTL.... Believe sticker was $28129

Grey, Touring #6

11. PriusTouring07

Thanks for all the responses. Great to see a few people got great below MSRP deals on the same car I want.

The reason I am not 100% convinced yet is because I only was able to take it for a very short drive around the dealership and I couldn't really experience its comfort, handling, accerelation. So when I rent it that'll change.

Reading the forum here, with a few people having issues with the 07s made me a little uneasy too, though it seems most of the problems were caused by driver error (depleting battery, etc).

The main thing that bothered me reading the forum is the MPG. I know you can't expect to get what the EPA sticker shows, but reading that some people get as little as 30 in cold weather, or that most it seems average in the 42 to 45 range is a bit of a turn off. Yes, it's a lot more than any other car (sold in the US), but if you advertise 60mpg and you only get 42 that's a HUGE difference.

Here is an article in Consumer Affairs about this very same issue and it appears the EPA is officially lowering its estimate from 60 to 45: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006...priius_epa.html

Actually this deserves a new thread, so I'll repost it. Would like to hear everyone's opinion.

12. onlynark

onlynark Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    print out an edmunds report and tell them you will not pay 1c more than what users reported paying:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/toyota/pri...pact/index.html

in regards to mileage, we live in cali so avg temps are 80-85F and my dad gets 50 mpg driving 65-70. It all depends on how you drive as with any other car.

13. b777

b777 New Member

If you are a Costco member go on their web site and look up the MSRP and invoice price. I found that Costco was better than the credit union fleet price. We bought a 07 #6 and bought the extended warranty from Troy Dietrich of Toyota of Greenfield. I purchased and installed XM from Metro Toyota, Cleveland, OH.
    The window sticker was $29,670 minus $1,750 bonus savings plus mats (cf) and vehicle shield package (P4) $548 dealer installed options which brought the total to $28,468.

We paid $27,250. Pin stripes, door edge guards, window tinting and first oil change were included. The whole process took less than 30 minutes and we were out the door with a 07 white Prius. In addition we traded in our Silverado pickup for a 07 Camry Hybrid fully loaded. My wife drives the Prius and I drive the Camry. We love them both. The Camry's best MPG is 41 and averages 35-38 MPG. The Prius averages 46 MPG. The best part is that we take the dog with us and leave her in the car with the xm playing and the ac set at 65 degrees and we can go eat while the ac runs off the battery or the engine starts and replinishes the battery. We usually go someplace were we can eat and watch the car.

Also, each Saturday from 11AM to 1PM the dealer has a cook out and anyone can come and eat. They cook hamburgers, sausage, etc. with trimmings and each month have a new car owner catered dinner with door prizes. They really work to make everthing right. They have a huge inventory.

14. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nark @ Jul 15 2007, 04:30 PM) [snapback]479308[/snapback]</div>
    Very true words. NV temps are higher, so I doubt that there should be any concern regarding low temperature mileage.

Regarding how you drive the car, if you stand on the go pedal, you will get lower mileage (might even get into the 30s if you really stand on the go pedal). Conversely, if you drive the car like a hybrid, you will be surprised at the mileage. I too did a try before I bought over a weekend running my normal errands (but consciously trying to drive the dealer's loaner car as a hybrid). My results were 68 mpg average over 128 miles on a car with 4,000 miles on the odometer. I really comes down to how you drive the car.

15. PriusTouring07

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Jul 15 2007, 07:22 PM) [snapback]479331[/snapback]</div>
    68 mpg average?? Is that a typo? I've never heard of average of 68 mpg.

16. Dee67

Dee67 New Member

Another vote for definitely renting it.

Tomorrow is our last day in a 3 day "weekend" rental for $129.. Absolutely the best test drive we've ever had.. EVERY manufacturer should make it possible to rent their cars.

There is nothing like the renting... Drive it, examine every inch, park it in your own driveway, take it on every stretch of road you like and dislike and see how it treats you.

17. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusTouring07 @ Jul 15 2007, 06:25 PM) [snapback]479358[/snapback]</div>
    Gradual acceleration plus regenerative braking going down hills plus watching traffic patterns about a kilometer ahead allow mileage to be optimized. There are some who have been able to get mileage results that are north of 80 mpg. Someone on PC even managed 60.5 mpg on their first tank.

18. PriusTouring07

Renting a Prius today for a week. Going to Utah, driving around Vegas and who knows where else it'll take me. I'll post the review in a few days!

19. noelty

noelty Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellaHMB @ Jul 15 2007, 11:44 AM) [snapback]479174[/snapback]</div>
    That is pretty much how I did it...called the Internet Fleet manager and negotiated via phone/e-mail...car and paperwork were waiting when I arrived.

20. priustan

priustan New Member

Love Mine.....However, I would rent one for a week if you are not sure. Also, go to edmonds.com to get dealer costs. The $2,000 off is only on the MSRP sticker. I tested both the touring and regular model. Some dealers try to talk you into the touring because they feel the y can charge you more because there are not many out there. Point is, there are notmany out there because there really is not a great demand for them. Really did not feel much of a difference and went with the regular model. Should be able to get a package #6, with breakage sensor, for about $27,000 before sales tax.