1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What should I say to prevent Prius bashing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cheap!, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

You know I have been asked a lot of questions lately that are really just a set up for Prius or hybrid bashing, and I find myself not know what to say.
    So if you have any great answers to some of the most common question, could you post them here? Such as:

How long is the pay back for buying your Hybrid over another non-hybrid equivalent?

How long will it take to get the payback for your leather upgrade?
    Never!
    Then why on earth would you pay more for leather then?

Or better still…

How long till you see a payback for that up grade from a V6 to a V8?
    Never!
    Then why would you pay for more for a V8?

2. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Nov 21 2006, 09:04 PM) [snapback]352893[/snapback]</div>
    I find that most conversations start with "How do you like your Prius?" and end with my answer of "Fine"

If someone presses the question of "How soon will it pay for itself" I usually answer "Never, all cars are expenses from the get go" "This one gets better gas mileage than a Harley Davidson motorcycle while carrying four people in real comfort and makes less pollution in a cross country drive than you make painting just one room in your house" "Other than that it is just a dependable car."

3. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Nov 21 2006, 10:04 PM) [snapback]352893[/snapback]</div>
    I just tell people I was going to spend about the same amount of money, no matter which car I picked, so I didn't pay any premium for a hybrid. Since I picked the Prius, everything I save fuel and maintenance-wise is gravy :).

Dave

4. KingSuper20

KingSuper20 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveG @ Nov 22 2006, 03:27 AM) [snapback]352934[/snapback]</div>
    That's an excellent response. I get that occaisionally on the BMW forum I'm on, and when asked why we picked a Prius, I simply state that out of all of the nice cars in it's price range, it gets 45 mpg, and that was important.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For more than two years I have continuously been annoyed by peoples' desire to argue the "payback period" of a hybrid. It's just like Allennde said, "it's a car; it's just a car; and it's like all other cars in that it gets me from place A to place B."

The Payback Period is something that no one ever thought about until some shill in the media started asking that question in the attempt to steer people away from hybrids. Their goal was to show people that hybrids never actually "pay" for themselves and you're better off just buying a Hummer.

So when people start talking money to me, I make a point to remind them that prior to hybrid vehicles, no one ever asked a Porsche owner what the payback period was; no one ever asked a Hummer owner what the payback period was; no one ever asked a motorboat owner what the payback period was. And in fact, it's still that way! People are never once challenged in every day life to justify their purchase of any vehicle other than a hybrid. They are openly accepted, acknowledged, and seemingly rewarded.

My payback is the knowledge that Hugo Chavez hates my car because it means I need less of his oil. My payback is in the knowledge that the Prius operates with so few emissions that it is impossible to kill yourself with a Prius and a garden hose. My payback is knowing that if everyone in the United States improved their average mileage by 5 MPG we would not require a single drop of imported fuel for vehicles. But alas, since most Americans are lazy or stupid, I'll just have to do the work of twenty or thirty.

No one pays me to drag my recycling to the curb every week and yet I do it. I don't do it because I enjoy it or because it's convenient. I do it because I know that I am doing what I can to help try to make this world a better place. Better for me, for you, and for our collective future generations. It's sad that there are people who not only fail to understand one person's efforts to do just a tiny bit of something they believe in. It's simply depressing when they are so ignorant that they will directly attack it.

In the end, you spent your money. You either bought a car that you like because it has a hatchback or you bought a car that you like because it has very high crash test ratings. Perhaps you bought one of the most technologically advanced cars with one of the highest MPGs currently on the market constructed with recyclable materials because you have decided to put your money where your mouth is and vote in favor of a change in the way we travel. Whatever your reasons are, it's none of their freaking business why or how much.

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Prius costs less to own and operate than other vehicles of similar capabilities. Within fair comparisons (that is, not against a good 10 year old which has already depreciated out) I believe it is really hard to beat.

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Nov 22 2006, 12:04 AM) [snapback]352893[/snapback]</div>
    Why not just turn the table? Ask them why they are inquiring about whatever they are inquiring about? If they are asking legitimate questions and seeking honest answers - proceed. If they are asking questions as a hammer with you being the anvil ---- turn your cheek and walk away ---- goodbye ----- have a nice day.... You have better ways to spend your time. There should be NO reason you should feel you have to defend you decision to purchase anything you want buy including your car.

8. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Someone like Hugo Chavez could easily stop the Prius bashing. {gasp!}

Anyone notice how our driving is influenced by attitudes and emotions, rather than intellect? How much you paid for it and how much is paid for the upkeep, is not as important for most as how they feel in it. How they feel is influenced by what others think of them driving it. Then there is driving style. I'm convinced that the way some people drive agressively and or angry is a psychological issue. Driving safely or fuel efficiently is more often a change in attitude - not a technical issue.

If you disagree, remember you conservations with someone that loves gas guzzlers. All kinds of "reasons" why that Suburban is necessary, even when it's underutilized. To them it's not a thing that gets them from point A to point B, but an extension of themselves - way more important to them than fuel economy.

9. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Nov 22 2006, 12:04 AM) [snapback]352893[/snapback]</div>
    I always say that it wasn't about the money for me...it was about
    • Reducing our dependence on oil
    • Saving the environment
    That usually shuts folks up. You can't argue with either of those points.

And, btw, it was true. It wasn't about the money. It was about practicing what I preach.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually try to extend the conversation into a broader discussion, but the first sentence is usually.... "I didn't buy it to save money, I bought it to save gas...and those are two different things." I usually go on to tell them how many gallons of gas my Expedition would have used up to now (~4300 gallons) vs. what I've used in the Prius (under 1000 gallons) over the 52k miles I've had it. I'm happy to try to do math if they want, but if I hadn't gotten a Prius I would have gotten a new Expedition, almost certainly, b/c I liked it. But the Prius was more practical, more interesting, and was technologically the coolest thing on wheels.

11. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Nov 22 2006, 08:25 AM) [snapback]352966[/snapback]</div>
    I'd definitely be tempted to put the inquirer in the hot seat if I suspected they were just grinding an ax.

12. Zaxxon

Zaxxon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Nov 22 2006, 10:44 AM) [snapback]353005[/snapback]</div>
    The best part is that today you can argue the 'payback period' line, and win. My Prius was about $6000 more expensive than a topped-out Corolla, and only a couple thousand more than an 'equivalent' Camry. ow keep in mind that a 'similar' Corolla is still a step down in terms of feature set, so it's not quite a fair comparison. Now take off the $1500 tax credit, and $400/year gas savings at current prices (for my driving: 30 mpg Corolla, 50 mpg Prius, 13,000 miles/year), and keeping the car for 6 years results in a $2000 difference. Private party resale values from KBB for your 'average' 2001 Prius and top-end LE Corolla are about $12,000 and $7,500, respectively.

So we have a $2000 lead for the Corolla after purchase and fueling costs, wiped out by a $4,500 deficit on resale, putting the Prius ahead by $2,500. And that's at current $2.30/gallon prices. Knock the average price of gas over a 6-year span to $3.50/gallon, something that most people would agree is a likely conservative number, and the Prius gains another $200/year, making the lead $3,500+. And in the meantime, you're driving a car with more features and a larger and more comfortable cabin.

For a Civic, the initial price difference is about $5000, the mileage difference is about the same, and the resale lead for the Prius is about $2,500, leaving the Prius ahead at today's gas prices by about ($5000 - $1500 - $2400 - $2500) $1000. Raise gas to a more realistic 6-year price level and the lead is $2000+. Those of you that got in with the $3200 credit fare even better.

Compare the Prius to the Camry/Accord range, and it loses some of its 'features' advantages, but still compares very well in total cost of ownership.

These numbers will vary based on each person's circumstances (mileage/year, years kept till re-sold, whether they can afford the initial increased cost, if they would invest that initial difference or not, etc), but saying that there's some huge premium that isn't wiped out until gas hits $6.00/gallon just isn't backed up by the facts.

So you're all right to claim that you don't have to justify your purchase--but should you feel the need, know that it can be done simply by analyzing the facts.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most people are genuinely curious, though sometimes misinformed. Rarely, I will run into someone who seems angry with me for not conforming to their version of reality. "Don't you know how much it costs to replace the batteries?" "They don't get as good mileage as you think." "You'll never make back what you paid for it." I try to be polite and correct their misconceptions, but some people fully deserve some sarcasm thrown back at them. "What are you doing in your car that makes you money?" "Why don't you move closer to work so you can walk? You'll never make up that lost commuting time, you know." Yes, I'm a cheeky monkey. :D

14. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I haven't had that response yet... they are always facinated and have already been thinking about getting one so far.

But if I did, I would tell them the prius is built for stealth, room and comfort.
    Even if I got no gas savings at all, its still worth it... its a very nice car.

The CVT transmission is pure and smooth... no jerking or shifting contents around while accelerating.

If you want a bad ride, you'll have to slam on the brakes!... and while we're talking about brakes.. after 100000 miles, there is no percievable wear on the pads or rotor.
    And I honestly have to be careful... I quite frequently look down and I"m close to 90mph without realizing it when cruising in the open country with no traffic!
    Its the wave of the future in many ways besides gas mileage.

15. dvdirv

dvdirv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    One of the biggest reasons that many of you have mentioned (besides the obvious) for owning a Prius is its resale value. In fact, it holds its value about the highest of any cars out there.

For example, I bought an '05 Prius in June of '05 for $23,500 and traded it in April '06 for an '06 Prius and received $22,000 in trade with only 10,000 miles on it.

What other car in the market can command that kind of return? :rolleyes:

16. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dvdirv @ Nov 22 2006, 11:00 AM) [snapback]353052[/snapback]</div>
    I may have mentioned that, but I'm getting nervous what will happen when the "supposed" 100mph cars come out of 2009? "as the rumour holds"

I'm sure they will still be desired above non hybrid cars, but the days of selling your car for as much or more than you bought it for so someone doesn't have to "wait" for a new one, may be over once that happens.

17. travis624

travis624 New Member

I just say I get 53 MPG in my Prius and only average 13.5 in my truck, I save well over 75% on fuel cost (diesel to reg unleaded) and what I save in fuel almost makes the payment, which is gravy once its paid off. I didn't buy it with the concern of "Pay Back", which will be sooner then later, I bought it because it has the highest rated MPG and it has the highest overall ratings of any production car in its class!!! It was designed from the ground up as a Hybrid and wasn't an after thought like the Camry and others that are based on popular gas models. It lowers my monthly fuel bill over $200 a month and by the time it's paid off, appox 2 years, I should be getting closer to 60 MPG and saving even more AND I get a $3150 tax credit AND I get to drive in the HOV lanes AND its better for the environment and I paid more for leather because I like leather.

They don't say much after that,

I LIKE IT!!! :D

18. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If they're open to discussion I'm happy to discuss. If they're just looking to pick a fight I ususally do something like:

Me: Are you happy with your car?

Them: Yes

Me: I'm happy with my car too. Isn't freedom of choice great? I love America, don't you?

19. Cox

Cox New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Nov 22 2006, 09:04 AM) [snapback]352962[/snapback]</div>
    Keep it coming - I like your talk. That verbalizes EXACTLY why I just sold the BMW M3 for the Prius - I could not look my kids in the eye and tell them it was OK for me to continue driving with total disregard for the environment - at least not now the alternatives are available, reliable and safe. Don't get me wrong, we cycle and walk whenever we can, but the commute and my work command a car. Another payback of course is that one is saying 'no' to the car makers determined to avoid change and saying 'yes' and encouraging those that are... all we need now is an environmentally responsible car that has the performance to match - anybody got $100k for me to get a Tesla? (www.teslamotors.com) Now that is a car that you would NOT have ANY difficulty defending!!!

20. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

I bought my Prius because it's got awesome resale value and gets good gas mileage. That's it.

The fact is, the Prius is not a particularly good purchase, otherwise. It's expensive for what you get, you will not make up that extra cost in gas savings, and they used a whole lot of the Earth's resources, electricity, etc to make the car. You'd be far better off buying a car that has already been manufactured (a used Honda Civic, for example) and still gets good gas mileage and also has low emissions.

Vince