1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What should the PPI include for 2007 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Beagle The Ruler, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Beagle The Ruler

Beagle The Ruler New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Long version (filled with a fair bit of psychological/emotional hang-ups):

I've been reading this forum and learning a lot from this community, but it's hard for me to synthesize all the information and am hoping for some help deciding what is a deal breaker and what isn't.

We are/were a Prius family: my husband drives a third gen Prius and I used to drive a base 2012 Barcelona Red Prius which I had bought new. My cousin totaled it while visiting us last summer. It had barely 30K on the odometer. The accident happened on 6/21/2017.

I drive short distances (thus the low milage on my former Prius). Insurance deemed the vehicle a total loss & paid out close to 17K for it, but it was a protracted, time-consuming/emotionally draining struggle and my heart still breaks every time I think about the situation. My cousin was fine and walked away from the crash, but seeing my car look the way it did was devastating... I didn't actually realize I cared about it (or else I probably would have not let anyone unfamiliar with San Diego driving drive it) until it was gone. Then, it really hurt to know my car was gone. And, if I'm honest, my own stupidity in trusting my idiot cousin and making the car available (or rather not being able to say "no" to a family member) still gets to me. I feel like SUCH a tool. Insurance was a hassle, too and we ended up in arbitration (I won) etc... But the entire process was bitter, drawn-out struggle. It made me more cynical.

Anyway, sorry about the long preamble, but this is why I've resolved to get a car I don't really care about.
    This is probably a bad idea, but I just want an older Toyota for less than $5K. Maybe it'll surprise me. Maybe I'll like it. If not, then at least it won't hurt like the previous one did. Maybe I don't need as good a car as what I lost. Maybe the car was too good (too much car) for me.

Short(er) Version:

I found a 2007 Toyota Prius on Ebay and won it for $4200. It's in my own zip code. It has 112K on the odometer. Looks good. I pulled the Carfax and learned that Owner #1 was a rental company (but OK). No evidence of servicing until 50K when owner #2 bought it w/50K on the odometer.

Owner #2 drove about 6K miles a year and took the car into the dealership every 3K-5K miles. The car's maintenance was rigorously documented from then on. I logged into my Toyota w/the VIN and saw all the maintenance. Looks fine. The car moved from Santa Monica to Nevada to San Diego (all rather warm places) and was driven fewer than 6K/year. Should I assume the hybrid battery is toast?

Notably, the 100K service was recorded as "recommended", but the owner seems to have requested to have something else done instead (brakes & tires). He may have done it, but the dealership notes are ambiguous...

The listing mentioned the battery was 100% and the records mention that a "battery replacement" occurred in July 2012 (but I don't know which one... meaning I don't know if the hybrid battery was replaced).

I contacted the seller about getting an inspection (and haven't heard back yet) and then called a local independent shop that specializes in Toyotas only and asked them about doing a PPI. They quoted $115 (which I will gladly pay). They have all the diagnostic tools and Toyota/Lexus trained mechanics etc that the dealership does. I trust they'll be able to evaluate the car, but what should I focus on specifically?

I don't know much at all about 2007s or even cars in general to be honest and would rather not compound my initial mistake with another one.

What are the deal breakers that I should make sure aren't present on the PPI? I don't want to be an idiot again and I don't want to care about the car, but I do want to get something reliable that I can drive the limited miles I usually drive. I don't trust myself to tinker with anything much at all and my husband has no interest in fixing cars either, so most of the servicing would be done at the dealer/independent shop mentioned above...

I'd appreciate any recommendations about the car, etc. Any psychological evaluations (judgements) are welcomed, too, if they lead to clearer thinking. And anyone who actually bothered to read all this, can comment any way they want and say whatever they like because they've earned it. I'd probably be the first to drop TL;DR if faced with a question this long.

THANK YOU!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Welcome!

What is PPI? (n)

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. Beagle The Ruler

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you.

Pre Purchase Inspection, I hope!

deadmoney33 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    First of all welcome to Prius Chat.

I sense a lot of anxiety in your post. If all the service is up to date just enjoy your new Prius. There are things in life more important to worry about than a car.

5. Beagle The Ruler

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you, Padroo. I've been lurking around the forum for the past week and this seems like a wonderful community!

You're 100% right about the anxiety level. I'm usually a much more decisive person, but I don't think I'm over my red Prius yet :).

I DO NOT have 2007 Prius yet. The Inspection has to happen first.

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome! For that price, even here in FL, I'd expect the car to be more like an '05 with 175-200k miles. Worse yet in CA. So, even if you soon need a new hybrid battery, you're still ahead of the game.

My wife loves her '07, even though it's only trim level 2. It has over 122,000 miles on it and runs great. There are no guarantees, even with an inspection, but I don't think I'd worry about it as long as the mechanic doesn't see anything wrong, especially at that price.

Beagle The Ruler likes this.
  7. Beagle The Ruler

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Jerry,

Thank you for saying that. That's my sense as well, but I'm second-guessing my decisions regarding cars in a way I wasn't before last June. I'm getting over it, though. We'll see what the inspection reveals; fingers crossed. I suspect you're right --and very few bad decisions could ever equal letting my cousin drive my low-mileage, owned outright little red Prius. But, the price seems good to me after having looked around for a few months and getting a sense of the baseline for non-salvaged, under 150K-mile Prii with no accident history and a documented record of regular maintenance --provided the inspection checks out, of course. I'm looking forward to having another car to call my own --and the remaining 12.5K from the insurance payoff can just go toward mortgage or something with some kind of interest rate...

Thanks again!!

jerrymildred likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We had a serious T-bone, rear quarter, requiring replacement of the rear suspension, and a fair amount of body work. And I DIY all the routine maintenance, so if you were to look online you'd surmise this was one neglected car.

The reality is 180 degrees though. My reputation for maintenance here, is to do everything completely by the book, and to go above and beyond. If there's some new preventative maintenace being suggested, say, I'm on it, way ahead of schedule, lol.

Also, the body shop that brought our car back did a stellar job, and all new parts were used. It's waxed every spring and fall, the oil changes are always by time before miles, low miles. Full brake inspection tri-yearly, ditto for brake fluid change. But yeah, judging it by it's cover...

Not sure what I'm saying, maybe just don't completely count on records, or an inspection. Check the vehicle out in person, with the owner present if possible. For sure have a test drive, listen carefully. Pop the hood and look for dead leaves or whatever. Just follow your nose.

#8 Mendel Leisk, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  9. Beagle The Ruler

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Mendel,

Yes; I'll definitely do it to the best of my ability. And I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said about a car potentially being a perfectly good, well-maintained car because the owners look after it and know what they are doing. My stepdad's Corollas are textbook examples of nearly obsessive upkeep without maintaining any kind of regular dealership presence. He buys his car new and drives it till it literally reaches its end of life, but he takes lots of long trips and the milage adds up. He never buys a new car (even though he could) unless he knows he absolutely has to. He does all basic maintenance himself; in fact, I think he tends to feel somewhat skeptical of too many dealership visits, if that makes sense.

I'm pretty sure that in a couple of years or so (after the sting of feeling stooopid about my former Prius has faded a bit more), I'll have a lot more confidence and a lot less anxiety about picking up another car. I just feel inordinately sheepish after that SNAFU and may be trying a little too hard to dot my is and cross my ts (as best I can with an 11-old car) without putting a lot of money on the line. I think I'm delegating more responsibility to the professionals than I usually would, but will definitely also rely on my sense of the car and try not to second-guess & hesitate unnecessarily.

Thank you for the reminder.

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's maybe a generational thing. Our daughter is around your age, and also really does her homework, with any significant purchase. It pays off. I think you'll get a keeper. (y)

#10 Mendel Leisk, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I think you have a couple factors working against your self confidence right now. When I make a bonehead decision it always takes a while to regain confidence in myself (or should I say hubris? LOL!).

Also, any time we lose something or someone we care about deeply, there is a time of grief. When we grieve, it's kind of like brain damage according to psychologists. It affects our memory and our clarity of thought because we're preoccupied with processing the loss and don't have the capacity to do that and still function as well as we otherwise would.

Hang in there! (y)

12. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use this strategy. I like them older and under 5k as well. I like them to be clean enough that it is a presentable vehicle. But has enough imperfections that if I get a ding in a parking lot I don't care at all.

PPI Toyota will look at everything and let you know. For a gen 2 Prius you're mainly looking at brake/tire measurements and testing the struts.

Keep in mind they are basically con artists in a way. Probably nothing wrong with your front/rear struts. But they have this little trick: They are viewing your 100K mile 15 year old car and comparing it to a brand new 0 mileage car.

If they even look original they'll probably quote you over $1000 and say they need to be replaced. Well, they don't. The car is used with used parts not new with new parts. Keep that in mind when they come up with their list of things to pointlessly replace in a pointless attempt to make a 15 year old car with 15 year old parts a brand new car with brand new parts.

SFO, jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not understanding the first post. The Op says she won an eBay auction than requests a PPI from the seller. Doesn't work that way its an auction you bought it.

The only thing that will really get you $$$ you in a car that age is the hybrid battery. Search the word prolong using the search forum button up top.
    Its a charger/discharger hybrid battery maintenance charger. It can get you some more years out of that battery. The hybrid battery is 11 years old.

Be proactive you sound like you don't like surprises and a 11 year old car is full of those.

#13 edthefox5, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    MilkyWay likes this.