1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what SRS stuff to replace after a front end wreck?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius4ed, Feb 21, 2010.

1. prius4ed

prius4ed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry, I posted this last night but can't find my post nor replies to it. I'm new to this site. Hope this post works. My car was in a front end wreck, and having no comprehensive insurance I did the mechanical work myself - radiator, fenders, hood, inverter, inverter coolant pump. still looking for the air filter box, 2 airbags (strg wheel and rt dash), and 2 front seatbelt retractors. Questions: which other SRS parts do bodyshops routinely replace after a wreck - I heard clockspring (where it that), sensors (on frame rails?), and airbag computer (where is that)? Do bodyshops scan the car to see what's defective, or just replace certain items routinely? Can I replace the seatbelt retractors and use the old seatbelts? How hard is it to replace the dash airbag? Ebay sells clockspring connectors - claiming you can replace melted connectors and save the old clockspring. Is this in my case?

2. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The front wiring harness may need to be replaced and it can cost 300 bucks if you can find a match in a junk yard to 3000 dollars for a new one from Japan. The differences are subtle, and only noticable when they don't match up during installation. A 'Touring' model with fog lights and HID headlamps will be hard to locate. My insurance paid 15,000 bucks to repair a Deer Collision that Did NOT cause the airbags to deploy, which would have 'Totalled' the 2007 Prius immediately. The entire nose (hood L& R Fenders, Grill all Lights, front cross brace, windshield, radiator, AC Condenser )of the car was replaced, as was the hybrid drive unit which is aluminum cased and was cracked in the collision. My Prius was repaired at a body shop operated by the Toyota Dealer, and the repair was perfectly restored to like new in every way. On my Prius There was No Damage rearward of the front edge of the front doors.

Good Luck, You will need it !