1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What the Dealer Did to Me Today!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by John6012, Apr 26, 2007.

1. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I went to a Toyota dealer here in central Oklahoma and wanted to trade my 05 Tundra in on an 07 Prius. At first the wife and I wanted one with package#2 which was offered at $22,800 before trade. The dealer said he had a #2 in stock and when we arrived they didn't- Then, the wife and I were talking and said, "If we're going to buy, why not get the Prius equiped like we want?" So, we wanted $18,000 trade in on the Tundra with 9,000 miles (I reviewed KBB and NADA) They offered $16,000.00. after apprasial I already had an offer from another Totota in northern OK that sight unseen offered me $18,000 trade-in. The new car "manager" said, we can't do that, you mean he offeresd sight unseen $18,000?" I said "yes." and he said "go." He was a young individual, the kind that is self-important and didn't mind being rude-after all, he was in fact "the new car manager." So with "go" we left and were determined never to go to that dealer again. When we arrived home, a message was on the answering machine, "Call me, I have some good news." So I called and spoke to a salesman we had seen previously and he appologised and offered a Prius giving us the $18,000 we wanted. Then he said the General Manager would like for me to driuve the Tundra back down some 40 miles for another look-see. I said "no, I have been once and don't want to drive back, your used car mgr had already seen the vehicle. Then we hung up and he called me back and said he could get a "Touring" model, package 5 with Xtra Mileage Option B for $24,963.00 minus $18,000 which would be $6,963.00. (He is going to call me back in the AM after making sure it will arrive. I want the best deal and so do they-for them. I thought the Touring model was "special." He says it is just like the regular sedan but comes with package 5 which makes it the touring model with larger tires....I have read on this board that there are some problems with the touring model????Can you give me some info before I obligate myself? We gotta band together, it's them or us!!!!!....Am I getting a good deal?...................Thanks, John

2. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TMV on Edmunds seems to say $25,500 is a solid price for the Prius so I would say you're getting a decent deal. Make sure you're getting exactly what you want b/c they're out there to be had. I think the touring gets SLIGHTLY lower Fuel Economy.

I am by far not an expert on this site though ... wait for others to chime in.

What is Xtra Mileage Option B?

3. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If it's a good deal I can swallow my pride and accept the car but I'd rather drive to another dealer 90 miles away vs 40 nearb y and get the same car, same price. No disrespect, but how does the Touring model get less MPG than the "basic sedan? The sticker on both models say the same MPG. The Exta Mile Option has carpets (trunk Inc), homelink (garage door opener?), mud guards, first aid kit, rear bumper protector and a bunch of other little stuff they make a fortune with.

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ Apr 26 2007, 10:17 PM) [snapback]430917[/snapback]</div>
    I think it's one of those Southern dealer special deals and has stuff like
    paint protector, etc., in other words, extra profit for the dealer.

5. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John6012 @ Apr 26 2007, 06:40 PM) [snapback]430923[/snapback]</div>
    <_< Personally, I would NOT go back to that rude dealer who called you back with the "good news". (I wouldn't trust him now if he told me the sky was blue and the Pope was a Catholic).

IMHO, mileage on the Touring model is the same as any other Prius. Also, sounds like a fair deal to me, based upon what you've said so far. Just don't let them talk you into any "extras" like: extended warranty, rust protection, floor mats, etc, etc.

6. kayemarschke2

kayemarschke2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(derk @ Apr 26 2007, 09:47 PM) [snapback]430927[/snapback]</div>
    I heard that the touring has a stiffer ride.

7. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unless you know exactly what you are doing don't trust the "good news" dealer, not to teach him a lesson but to avoid wondering about everything he says.

8. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to Toyota's site for Prius Specifications, the only difference with the Touring model is the tuned suspension:
    http://www.toyota.com/prius/specs.html

Also, the Touring model has a different standard wheel/tire combo (16" seven spoke alloy with 195/55R16 opposed to 15" six spoke alloy with plastic rings and 185/65R15), comes standard with HID headlights/foglights and a slightly larger rear deck spoiler:
    http://www.toyota.com/prius/models.html

As of April 4, 2007, Toyota has announced a price incentive called "America, Your Prius is Ready":
    http://www.hybridcar.com/news/in-the-news/...ays-toyota.html

Touring Edition base price = $23,070
    New Pkg. #5 (Touring) MSRP pricing = $2,905
    Total MSRP = $25,975
    You're getting about $1,000 off current MSRP, sounds reasonable to me (plus the extra $2,000 for the Tundra).
    Perhaps the only way to know if you can get a better deal is to price check with other dealers. Good luck, hopefully you'll bring home a new Prius to enjoy! (you could even spend another $1,270 and go all out with leather and navigation on a Pkg. #6)

9. g_guttebo

g_guttebo Junior Member

Sounds like a good deal to me...

Our Prius has the coating to protect the paint. Love the added gloss and silky way it feels. A lot of the available parking in our area is under trees dripping sticky goo with lots of birdies flying about. The coating does seem to make clean up easier. (We tend to keep our cars 10+ years, so feel it is worth it to do what it takes to make them look nice until it is time to buy a new one.)

I believe the touring model has a 'tuned' suspension and 16" vs 15" wheels, with an extra spoke (7 spokes instead of 6 spokes ... I guess so you can tell the difference between the average Prius and the 'sporty' model (be sure to get a 'red' one, thats the color that says: 'Hey... I'm Soooo Cool')

The tuned suspension probably makes for better handling on curves and such.

The slightly larger wheels probably takes a little more 'poop' to get 'er started from a dead stop (slightly less mpg), but may allow for somewhat better traction (more tread contact on the roadway), especially when combined with the 'tuned' suspension parts.

I think that the 'tuning' part has something to do with fine adjustments custom made to the variuos parts of the suspension and shock absorbers, perhaps with the aid of a computer or road simulator at the factory, something like they do to race cars when they are set up for various road, track or tires...

I visualize the touring model used on weekend jaunts on old two lane highways that wind their way through hills and mountains with beautiful landscapes. Lots o' curves that would benefit from the likes of bigger tires and 'tuned' suspensions. (Probably even somewhet less mpg 'cause a lot of folks that drive these types of roads do tend to 'power' their way through curves and things.)

By the way...

Sorry to have heard of your less than favorable treatment from the dealer's sales rep. If you are going to buy, try to establish a good relationship with one of the older fellows at the dealership (senior sales people, or 'closers'). They have no doubt been selling cars a long time, preferably (for you) at the same location and very likely have a whole bunch of regular clients that keep coming back because they are treated well.

Some of the younger guys either may not be motivated quite the same way (and probably won't stay in the car sales profession for very long), or, because they are 'learning the ropes', may be experiencing a string of rather frustrating 'no sale' days that might make them impatient or irritable.

Be sure to let the OWNER of the dealership know, however, how you were treated... He is the guy who is in the business for the long haul, and his reputation in the community (and perhaps staying in good graces with Toyota) is on the line.

Our dealer (Toyota of Santa Cruz) has treated us exceptionally well. They sent us a 'Thank You' card and then followed up a week later an invite to dinner with other new owners. (They have been in business for a long time and, based on input from people we know who have purchased there, have an excellent reputation.)

Gary...

10. liverbomb88

liverbomb88 Push the Button!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ask the dealer to see their invoice for that car. What their true invoice is, you'll never find out, but the "public" invoice of the base Touring is around $21.8k, and for some reason, Edmunds no longer lists invoice of the specific packages. I would guess "public" invoice of a pkg5 touring to be around $24.5k. Does someone with a recent Pkg5 touring remember invoice price (based on new Hybrid Ready discount)? Maybe that will help out OP. Even with higher fuel prices, the lowering of the tax credit may mean you can get the car at or below invoice -- but that depends on your particular market.

The best way to get the best service and price is to demonstrate to the dealers that you know the facts, and to make them compete with each other to earn your business.

Good luck!

11. g_guttebo

g_guttebo Junior Member

Hi again...

When we got our Prius, our dealer did not have the color/option package on the lot, but he had a fellow on his staff whose job it is to call around to other dealers and nail down the exact one we wanted. They found one at a dealer 'over the hill' (San Jose) and had it delivered, prepped and final paperwork ready by 6:00 that evening.

This is a standard practice among all car dealers (not just Toyota) to help move cars off their lots (and, of course, not lose sales). With all the colors and options available on new autos, I imagine few dealers have room for every possible combination on their lots.

This, of course, works much better in more populated areas with dealers located in relatively close proximity.

Dealers in more rural areas do the same thing, but it may take longer to get a car transferred from one lot to the next.

It is very possible that another dealer had 'taken' the the car you had wanted during the time it took you to drive to the dealer's location. The person who told you they had one 'on the lot' may have been telling the truth, but of course, he would have no control over what happened to the car over the next few hours.

He may have also been telling a 'half truth' by locating one 'on the computer' at a dealer 20 miles down the road, but having no paperwork (or money) cementing the deal he, of course, could not place a hold on it. It may have ended up being sold that very same day by another Toyota dealer another 20 miles further 'down the road' from the one whose lot it sat on. Hey... he was taking a chance, can't blame him.

He really should have handled the situation better when you arrived in person, perhaps even having a strategy in place to acquire the one you wanted in a reasonable amount of time...

Very, very, very few sales can ever be counted on based strictly on a phone conversation unless, perhaps, there is a credit card involved

Having the opportunity to meet with the customer in person vastly increases the chance of a sale by a particular dealership or salesperson. He kind of wasted that opportunity....

There is no longer a huge waiting list for available Prius's these days (with the price of gas going up, this may change). Toyota dealers are doing quite well these past couple of years, much to the great envy of every other dealer on 'Auto Row', mostly because of the Prius. The high Prius prices in recent years have allowed the better Toyota dealers to reinvest their profits by expanding their 'digs', hire experienced personnel and offer better services.

The increased availablity (and lower prices) these days should allow those dealers to maintain their profit level because the Prius (and the new Camry Hybrid) are still very, very hot sellers. This translates to Toyota dealer lots that are far from 'static', with cars being moved off and on almost continually as regional dealers trade each others stock.

Gary...

12. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(liverbomb88 @ Apr 27 2007, 02:01 AM) [snapback]431038[/snapback]</div>
    I think the only way you can get the actual invoice with the price the dealer paid is through Consumer Reports. I think it costs about $15 or so. The dealer will show you a false invoice.

Dave

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get on the phone or internet, contact the other dealers within 100miles or so. Tell them your story (more briefly)...tell them the price you're willing to pay to a dealer who won't jerk you around...someone will bite. Then go there...make your deal before you walk through the door and are on their turf.

14. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The sales person is supposeed to call me back this AM and let me know when the Prius will be on their lot. It'll have the Nav (Pkg #5) and with the exta Milage Option (BO) it'll have all the mats. He wanted me to give him a CC om the phone to cover a deposit ($500.00) but I refused and he said he understood. But, if I do decide to buy from that dealer, I will ask him to send me the invoice via internet with the total drive off price. Meantime, I'm going to use the Tundra t go get a couple of bags of cement mix and fence posts this AM. I have an Accord that I'm going to put a hitch on so I can use my utility trailer (don't use the trailer or Tundra that much anyway). I have to tell you kind folks that this board/forum is one of the better ones on the internet and you people are great! Thanks, John

15. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Just my two cents. They called you back so they want to make a sale. Use the managers rudeness as a tool to get more money off. Tell them you are not coming back there to be treated with disrespect. Make them give you extras at their expense. Tell them you want a full tank of gas in your truck if you drive down there and don’t like what you see or get treated poorly. First thing you do when you get there make them fill your truck to the top that way they cant stall if things go bad.

16. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 27 2007, 09:30 AM) [snapback]431127[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent point...in addition I still suggest you call and talk with another dealer or two, see what they'll offer and use those numbers as leverage with the first dealer. It's worth putting up with crap if you end up on the better end of the deal ultimately, but not if you don't.

17. John6012

John6012 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The salesman at the dealer just called me and said they'll have one in dritfwood pearl pkg 5 in in a bout 1-2 weeks . He said instead of the BO xtra pkg, it'll have the AO pkg, same price. I wanted the security system in the BO pkg and he says the AO pkg has the glass breakage sensor. What is the beter package?? I agree with a couple of the posts, I've been thinking of insisting on the leather seats or no deal.
    It's a shame that the dealers/salespeople have meeting and scheme against the consumer but I guess that's the name of the game. Always has been and probabloy will be.

The salesman at the dealer just called me and said they'll have one in dritfwood pearl pkg 5 in in a bout 1-2 weeks . He said instead of the BO xtra pkg, it'll have the AO pkg, same price. I wanted the security system in the BO pkg and he says the AO pkg has the glass breakage sensor. What is the beter package?? I agree with a couple of the posts, I've been thinking of insisting on the leather seats or no deal.
    It's a shame that the dealers/salespeople have meeting and scheme against the consumer but I guess that's the name of the game. Always has been and probably will be.

I just went to Toyota.com and "built the car, thea package is more expensive at #1,085 vs the B paackage is $585.00 so it is a better package or at least cost more <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 27 2007, 09:39 AM) [snapback]431132[/snapback]</div>

18. Susanne101

Susanne101 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John6012 @ Apr 27 2007, 11:27 AM) [snapback]431163[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with Evan. Do you know how to play POKER? I do. And I do it well. Purchased my 2007 $3000 below invoice. ALWAYS tell them the the other dealer will give you a break on the leather to get you to buy. I offer to pay half of their cost of the leather. You do need to know their cost. AND it is roughly $600 to $700 their cost. I always let them know that they are making their profit without actually saying it by not compromising somewhat on the things that I know will make them money and compromising on the things that they will not make money on. You need to what these things are. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. My family has been in the car business for over 40 years. When it comes to dealing; I am the QUEEN. LAST NOTE: Always be willing to walk away.

Hope this helps.

19. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Buying by phone, email and fax saves a lot of screwing around. Call a buncha dealers and ask them to fax you their bid on the model you want. After collecting these, ask the salesanimal you like best to meet or beat the best bid you get.

Trading in is convenient but you make more money selling a used vehicle yourself.

Just Say No to all the dealer add-on crap. You can wash the car several times for $300.

For good advice on car buying and selling, see the Consumer Reports/Consumers Union website http://www.consumerreports.org or their annual car buying issue (April). (Beware the phony "Consumers XXX" groups which try to look like Consumer Reports but are merely fronts for manufacturers.)

20. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ahhhh the dreaded dealer stories, (let me break out my Soap box) Well did they say anything about money down? I went to trade my 04 Prius in to David Mause in Sanford Fl. they looked the car over and offered me 15k towards my trade up to the 07 Hycam.

There we where sitting at the round table discussing monthly payments... 1st. $595.99, 2nd $550 w/$4k down (ontop of the 14k from the trade in) I told them no way(short version)

went to another dealer 45 mins away walked in told the salesman what I wanted what I was willing to pay and how much down I was willing to pay. They did it and they gave me $14K trade in. :)

(The defective car issue is another story on another thread) End result, I have a loaded hycam for the price of a not so loaded model.... :rolleyes: ;) :)

PS. My 04 Prius was Driftwood Pearl, Nice car color hid drit well, But I hated the Ivory/brown int. :mellow: