1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What the "hail" is this post here?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Jul 12, 2024 at 6:53 PM.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    See this post. It's been going on at least since last December (that's just when I noticed it!).

Because our PriusChat wiki can be edited by any PriusChat member, it's kind of a free-for-all for folks to use the main page to host whatever content they want hosted somewhere, whether it's "Urban Entertainment Unveiled" or "The Complete Guide to Outsource Accounting Service" or "Oi-Gong Himalayan Pure Shilajit Resin".

A wiki is supposed to keep edit history, so it would be easy for Tideland to see who was vandalizing it and ban them, and restore the version before the edit. But PriusChat's wiki history function has been busted, maybe since the November 2023 Server Migration, and no one has bothered to fix it yet, and without it, Tideland is pretty much without tools to find and stop anyone vandalizing the wiki.

It might be worthwhile for the site operators to just disable all editing of the wiki, until the history function is fixed. A wiki that's wide-open to edit but without any history mechanism is something of a liability.

Stevewoods likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Any of us can edit that page. So I reached out to Danny and we'll see if anything goes "boink."

Speculation, the SPAMer found out about this weakness in the forum software and simply 'took an opportunity.' But we are not helpless. If you see some abuse, hit the "Edit" and correct. <GRINS>

Free fire zone following the "Twitter/X" style.

Bob Wilson

Stevewoods likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Heard back:

Bob, thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to try to change it back using the raw database. This info all needs to be transitioned into a new Resources area anyway.
    -Danny

Bob Wilson

Stevewoods likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @Danny,

There are a lot of links into the wiki from posts in the forum. Would moving the wiki stuff to a Resources area leave those all dead? Or would there be an automated process to find all those posts and update the links?

Leaves me wondering, what makes a Resources area better than a wiki?

A wiki where the history feature isn't busted, I mean.