1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What the heck is she talking about?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Spunky, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Vol. 127/No. 10 October 2005, page32

From the article entitled Drive of the Future?
    ..."I bought my Toyota Prius...One time I arrived home...I pushed the Power button, read the odometer and wrote it down, forgetting to push the Power to turn it off again. With a silent motor, I never noticed...The next morning...the battery was down to the last two clicks (of eight) in the readout...it recovered to the top again. I started breathing again: A new battery is about the cost of the entire car."

This from The American Society of Mechanical Engineers' (ASME) monthly pub. Sidebar is on the bottom of the page.
    http://www.memagazine.org/contents/current...b/petrbomb.html

What is the author talking about? Why was she afraid the computer wouldn't keep a proper level of charge in the battery? And would the purchase and installation of a new battery really have cost her about as much as the entire car?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Another child left behind. There are programs for drug addiction that might help the reporter.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    if she had pushed the power button from an off state once without brake, ya its possible that the battery would be run down. although unlikely as the current drain would be very minimal

*edit*

just read the story cited and after reading a very imformative article by Schultz, all the while wondering what the OP was talking about, i finally got to it at the bottom. i dont know whether to admire her for being so tolerant of her neighbors and the suspected racket they were making or to recommend a good audiologist to check her hearing.

4. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And when she closed the door, the car went "beep beep beep", but she apparently ignored that.

5. endoildependency

endoildependency New Member

Latest report, quoted in these threads, for battery pack replacement: $4,000.

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think it says it all at the very bottom:
    Too bad this respected journal didn't fact check its freelancer's submission.

The main article's authors, George P. Shultz and R. James Woolsey, are well known individuals. Too bad Barbara Wolcott confused the major point about how oil dependency leaves us vulnerable.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I originally misinterpretted the order of events. In the article she doesn't say that she had turned the car off. So when I read that she punched the (POWER) button, I assumed she had turned it off. You can imagine how annoyed I was knowing that her car would have been off when she took down the ODO reading and all the rest. I get it now.

8. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

She was just worried that she would have to pay some huge penalty for making some small mistake.

Then she finished her article and went to the Red Sox game... :eek:

9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, I wonder sometimes if the left-car-in-Ready-until-HV-battery-failed scenario is treated like the ran-out-of-gas-but-kept-driving-on-HV-battery-until-it-failed scenario that (supposedly) requires the owner buy a new battery. Are all drained-beyond-repair situations going to be treated the same?

Seems like the kind of stuff that would produce a software upgrade that protects the battery better, unless Toyota never loses in court so they never have a reason to reprogram...

10. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    She heard her car cycling the ICE to protect the battery - EXACTLY LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO. Two BLUE bars is a perfectly normal low battery charge. She just doesn't know how her car operates.

11. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Except for the fact that I think two bars are pink? It's been a while since I've seen two bars, but I imagine I'm right (that usually works)

12. dannored

dannored New Member

I would call them purple? The only time I've seen two bars is when I picked my car up from its 10 K service. I wonder how that happened? It usually never slips below three green.

13. dannored

dannored New Member

I meant three blue?

14. ross33

ross33 New Member

after trying the neutral coasting for qiuite a few miles i was down to 1 pink bar. yikes!! not trying that any more. strange though the next day my trip to work averaged 62 mpg when usually its only 52.

15. rogerSC

rogerSC Member

Wonder if the author will get any offers to buy her car for the price of a battery replacement? I'd be glad to take it off her hands for that much...

-Roger

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow, the car and the battery cost the same?

so that means either I can get a new Prius for $4K or you get a free new car with every battery replacement.

hmm. either way it sounds appealing.

17. storm petrol

storm petrol Member

44 degrees, 42 minutes North; 73 degrees, 29 minu
    Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What if she had left the car in neutral and powered up? Wouldn't that prevent the ICE from keeping charge? How would the computer manage that?

storm petrol

18. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In N her SOC would be SOL and she'd have to shell out (maybe) for a new HV Battery, if it couldn't be charged. I wonder if she read the manual... Must have, she's a freelance writer!

19. Spunky

Spunky New Member

:lol:

20. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

In ready mode and park the car will recharge itself, so it can't damage the HV battery.

In IG-ON mode, the HV battery is not used, only the 12V battery. I don't believe the 12V battery costs $4000...