1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What the heck is this noise? Video inside...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by eklectictaste, Aug 21, 2013.

1. eklectictaste

eklectictaste New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Before I start, when I drive, and after I shut down (for 10 minutes) my 06 sounds like a machine gun is firing in the far distance, also a buzzing noise is happening. This continues when I drive the car as well. It drives me nuts!! Please see video below for better representation of what I am talking about. Maybe it's the pump for the coolant pre tank but I don't see how this could be normal. This is my first prius, other than this noise the car is excellent.

Here is the link of the video with noise

2. penquin230

penquin230 "Golden Hawk"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just thinking maybe your HV battery cooling fan is making that noise but then again it only runs when you battery gets hot. Maybe the fan is dirty and ???Just food for thought. how many miles do you have.maybe put your ear up to the cooling vent on the passenger side of back seat to listen for the thumping noise.

3. eklectictaste

eklectictaste New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's funny, the noise also happens first thing in morning when I open the door of the car before it's warm. Opening the door triggers whatever is happening to start. And it never stops! Car is at mechanics now... I will mention the fan. The car has 160k

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you figure out what the cause is, please post the fix that way it will help the community. The noise I heard would definitely be distracting to me. I can truthfully say I have never heard that one before.

Hope you find the problem and the resolution.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I once had the reflexes of a cat....
    The speed of cheetah...

Now I need reading glasses
    My feet hurt....

And for the life of me I can't hear anything but your voice on your video.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Headphones will help you, but even with my headphones I could not hear the second noise the OP referred to. I did hear the faint "machine gun sound" he was describing. Very odd sounding to me, never heard that one before.

7. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Could be a fuel pump? H

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The clock spring noise is the brake vacuum pump under the hood on the firewall. It will sound like its under the dash right in front of the driver. Sounds like a rattlesnake. You can manually turn that on by pressing your foot on the brake repeatedly. That's normal.

I hear that machine gun clunking noise too. Have no idea what that is. Maybe a bad battery fan?

Make a video with the camera under the hood to confirm clockspring. Make a video with the camera in the back tire well to confirm battery fan. Don't talk over either.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh the machine gun could be the pump that tests the gas tank bladder for leaks. It goes on every once in a while. Usually very quiet. Tire well video......