1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What the heck was this all about ?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Chris Wolfgram, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Chris Wolfgram

Chris Wolfgram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    First let me say, this might have nothing to actually do with my 2022 XLE, and everything to do with my Viper Alarm....
    So last night, I walked out to my car, and reached to grab the door handle... The alarm should have been set (and apparently, it was) but without giving it a second to unlock automatically, with my hand being on the handle, or should I say, without thinking, I just instantly pulled the handle, and it opened ?! As it did, I thought to myself, "What the heck ? Did I forget to lock it / set the alarm" ? But immediately my alarm starts chirping.... And after about 3 seconds, it starts sounding... Urggg. Hate false alarms and bugging the neighbors.
    So I kill it. Hop in the car, start it, and sit there for about 6 or 8 minutes, letting my cabin warm (I have remote start, but had forgot to use it)
    So here's where it gets weird.... I start to drive, and I get maybe 100ft down the road, and I hear a chirp, and 1 second later, my cab light comes on for about 1 second, then goes off ? Maybe 3 or 4 seconds later, another chirp, and my cab light goes on and off again ???
    Now I don't know about you guys, but any time I have some weird, glitchy stuff like this happen, I always start wondering, Okay, is my car just going to die now, and give me some very messaged up message telling me to see see a service technician ?
    Anybody ever experience this, and did you figure out the cause ?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i always check the 12v when weird things happen, but that sounds like a viper problem

Chris Wolfgram likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I might suspect something to do with the workmanship while installing the Viper.

4. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thank you. Of course I'm going to just see what happens in the following days. I do lean towards the alarm too. Honestly, as nice and glitch free as the alarm has been until now, it bugs me that I have to carry both my factory key fob to start the car, and my Viper fob, to be able to see the status of my alarm, as well as to be able to use the remote start.
    I have to wonder if this could be a communication issue between the two Fobs ?

5. Chris Wolfgram

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Well I do trust the place / guy that actually installed it. And they would definitely redo anything if it started to repeat the problem.
    No problems this morning though.