1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What the 'shifter' reminds me of...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by seal2cc, Jan 18, 2011.

1. seal2cc

seal2cc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't think I'll start a multi-dozen thread with this but I finally figured out what the shifter reminds me of... the game stalk of one of the original PACMAN games!! It is easy, relaxing, does stuff with just an easy flick of the wrist. I love it but couldn't dig out why it seemed familiar!

Unlike some, I like the D pull to the rear. It coincides with the pull back to B which I do more than I thought. Just toggle right or left to do D or B. Reverse is used more rarely for me and I like the laziness of a 'flick' back. Interesting the rhythm you develop using D-to-B etc depending on the terrain. Calming in-control feel.

Anyway wanted to share that earth shaking input with everyone. :)

Cheers,

Chris

2. rpeeples

rpeeples Experienced Toyota Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing I wonder about is why is Reverse and Drive on a lever and Park is a button. Looks to me like it should all be buttons. I mean, the lever is not mechanical. It is electric, like the Park button is....

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Because it's a self-centering stick it's harder to have the Park on the stick. They'd have to put it in the top right. Park, being a stopper is not a big deal to separate.

The value of having gear selection on a stick is that it's easy to find the stick without looking.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah,
    The shifter is pretty interesting, and it does remind me of an 80's video game control...(so does the steering.)
    After 4500 miles, I've mostly gotten used to both.

I've whammed the joystick a couple of good times loading test equipment into the car, and it hasn't broken (yet), so I'm not especially worried about it. I never use the Park button.

You gotta admit....the Prius Driving Experience is different.... :D