1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What the...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jdjeep98, Jan 22, 2006.

1. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

:eek:
    So, Toyota has been pushing the "no plug" feature and everyone I know wants a charger...
    I found this in another group... :D

[attachmentid=1919]

Where and how do I get one and can anyone here translate Japanese???

B)

2. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

This is what I found online about this

"I believe that this "service tool" is only designed for one simple task. To Charge a Dead HV Battery Pack, A Very Dead Battery Pack. Toyota has gone to great pains to avoid "Taking the Plug" as it were. So I don't think this charger is "Ideal" for our "Grid Charge Wants".

If you examine the image closely, there are two cables. The one attached to the front (engion bay area)(SST1) may be a "special plug" just for the charger, or it may require disconnecting something else in order to plug in the charger. The cable to the back appears to be the latter. It looks to me like the large connector was removed from the BMS computer then the chargers cable (SST2) plugs into the computer and the removed connector (Patching into the computer).

I would further speculate that the charger is communicating on some level with the BMS, and obviousely it has to supply charging power. It "might" function without a 12v accessory battery, so the charger may provide 12v power to the BMS. I would imagine that the charger does not disturbe the BMS's normal tracking and other functions, which IS just what we are looking for. But there's no reason to think that the car will run with the charger installed. I hope I'm wrong and it could be permenently installed, we'll see."

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

If you contact ken1784, I think he may shine some light on it.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I believe there is one ( 1 ) main battery charger in each region. I think ours is stored in Portland. If it is needed it comes to you in a day or two. Do not trash your main battery.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    that is indeed the HV charger. they are only and i mean ONLY in the posession of toyota regional reps to attempt to charge dead-beyond-dead batteries before going ahead with a replacement.

thousands and thousands of dollars, and i can't imagine the kind of power that baby sucks out of the wall.

6. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

:(
    Rats!

I was hoping there was a HV battery charger available for the user...
    That would be almost as good as an onboard charger!

*sigh*

Thanks anyway. I appreciate your input.
    :)

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hear that they have a special deal Bonneville Power Administration when they need to use one!