1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Tip % do you leave at a Restaurant ?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by JMD, Jul 25, 2013.

?
  1. None

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1-7 %

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8-15 %

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. 16-21 %

17 vote(s)
    65.4%
  5. 22% +

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In comments say why?

Ok to diferentiate from the family place to the fine establishment

2. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not enough choices...

I tip according to service... bad service = $.02 - a nickle

Good service = up to 10%

If the joint puts the tip automatically on the bill... I don't ever return.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i usually leave around 20%. but if the service is bad, i'll go as low as 10. if it's expensive i o less and if it's cheap with hardworking people, i'll go upto 50.

4. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OH... on special occasions, when I have reserved a place and planned an event at a food joint... I have given the wait staff $50 bills for making sure my friends are paid attention to... but I don't let my friends know I did that... the last time was at Chantrelle's... and was worth every coin.

The squash soup was just wonderful.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I usually tip 20% if the service is good. I used to do less until my daughters started waiting tables and would come home almost in tears over busting their butts to please demanding customers only to get trivial tips.

Both said that the people that you would think would tip well (well dressed, nice cars, etc.) usually were the poorer tippers and the ones that you would not expect to tip well (opposite of above) were typically the better tippers.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    shorts and teeshirts here, and prius of course!;)

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends entirely on service. Generally 10% to 25%
    Although, in general I tip less at a buffet.

Although my favorites are Christmas tips:)

8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    10% if bad. 15% is my goto tip for satisfactory service and it goes up from there for good service. I think the highest I ever gave was 25% for good service.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    isn't there a NY place that is now just including tip in the cost overall? i am down with that.

10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a very few places that pay their help a decent wage and note 'no tips please'.

11. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I started tipping well when taking my late wife out to eat. She had a brain injury and enjoyed going out every Saturday to a limited number of local low-to-mid priced restaurants who all knew her and treated her great. Our favorite family restaurant waitress would see us coming and have a table ready - chairs removed from one side (for her wheelchair), regular beverage served, and extra napkins. Restaurant staff were patient and friendly, answering the same (sometimes inappropriate) questions about their personal life on each visit. Dinner for both of us was about $20-$30 and I left a $10 tip. A number of these restaurant folks attended my wife's visitation or funeral.

I'm now engaged to a lovely lady and we go out even more often to the same restaurants. (Once married & living together this fall, we will be cooking at home most nights.) I still leave a $10 tip. Generally, I like to leave a tip of $5 per person and almost never eat a places where that would be less than 15%.

JMD and jdcollins5 like this.
  12. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it's a sushi place- franchised too IIRC.

I generally tip 20%, but if it's at our favorite Greek place where the owner loads us up and brings out food that he likes to cook (without us asking- and it's never on the bill including other items that he leaves off the bill) then I usually leave considerably more.

13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    15% - 100%.

For those of you who never had the pleasure of working in the food service industry, the Federal Minimum Wage for "Servers" today is $2.13 an hour, though a very few States slightly more. For reference, the Federal minimum wage in 1975 was $2.10 an hour. Servers are required by law to report 100% of their tips as included income for tax purposes. In Texas they are required to claim minimum 11% of their total sales as tips, whether they make it or not. Remember the Server also has to tip the Bar, the Bus "Person" and sometimes the Host/Hostess. Most are required to work split shifts, weekends and Holidays. I can not even begin to tell you the entitlement people demand, except to say if most people treated their Mothers the way they treat Servers, there would be a lot of hungry people out there, as it relates. Remember they work 4-6 (or more) tables at a time, are instantly required to accurately read and work the personalities and demands of every type person, and with variable work loads most could not conceive.

Yes there are Excellent Servers, Bad Servers and everything in between. Same goes for Customers. So next time you get upset because you drink takes 5 minutes longer than you expect, remember most of them are doing everything in their power to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

hyo silver, jdcollins5 and EGGS like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right on! (y)

15. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Never heard of Federal Minimum Wage for "Servers" today is $2.13 an hour.
    The minimum wage apply to all job, labor or desk job.
    There are some Asian restaurants that pay under the table below minimum wage and collects all the tips and the servers do not get any.

16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  17. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when they say 'cash' they mean wages. you can pay an employee any way you want, as long as you pay payroll taxes.

19. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Call it what you will. You work 40 hours as a Server, the gross pay check is $85.20, then they take out taxes on that plus 11% of your sales (Texas), or your reported Tips. You live on Tips. Try it some time.

$2.13 is Federal. As stated, only a few states pay more. Click on State to see.

Happy to have educated.

hyo silver likes this.
  20. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Chicken or the egg? Servers have low wages because they also get tipped or we should tip them because they get low wages? I do concede that I've only worked at McDonald's for $4.25 minimum wage and received a tip twice during my 3 month service. I may not come from experience in food service but my due compensation was exactly why it only lasted 3 months.

I also work hard at my job. Most people do. You can't say food servers work harder than firefighters or teachers. I don't get tips when I sell a product and neither does anyone on my production team. In fact, we're not allowed by law to accept any kind of reward as it may be construed as bribery.

If I am not willing to tip, I don't go out. Otherwise, it's industry standard tip for satisfactory service. It goes up and down from there. I'm not going to feel sympathy and give 20% to those who gets my order wrong working a dead end job. I'd rather reward those who do provide excellent service. Earn a better tip or go get a better paying job. That's what I did.