1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What tires do you guys run?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by zero26, Aug 19, 2009.

1. zero26

zero26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Time for replacement what tires are you guys running?

2. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do a search. There are TONS of threads on tires. I prefer the GY Triple Treds. Nothing beats it!!!!

3. Submarine Dude

Submarine Dude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I just had Michelin Primacy MXV4 installed all 'round. At the same inflation (44 PSI) they are quieter, smoother riding, and improved the handling substantially. They're still breaking in but it looks like a minimal hit (1-2 MPG) to the 58-60 MPG I've been getting.

4. jimmyb

jimmyb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys I'm a newbie and just saw this post ...I just purchased a used 2006 for my first prius and shortly after found the forum .I have seen posts about prius being bad in snow with the goodyear tires.I live in PA and just traded my 06 grand cherokee .I have had front wheel drive before and it was ok...So I have the same question about tires ..Dealer says all season is fine for the car...

5. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Summer: Yokohama ADVAN AD08 205/55/16 on Volk CE28N Eco Drives (same weight as stock, much much much much better performance, but $$$$$$$$$)
    Winter: Nokians on stock touring rims (I have yet to buy them)

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rumor has it that Goodyear Assurance FuelMax allows MPGs as good as the Integrities with less noise and better grip. Next time round I'll try them.

7. fm725fm

fm725fm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    my car only have 28k miles but the front tires is all gone. so i replaced the front with falken ze912, i think it is pretty good. the rear still the stock one "worst tire i had ever used"

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Goodyear TripleTreds in the 195/60R15 size. They're a great all season tire and, IMO, the best one for the money.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Like Boo says......I'm ready at 23K to get rid of my Integrities as they really howl and have done alot of research and from what I read the TT's seem to be the best tradeoff so thats where I'm going. 205's too.

I get all my tires from TRack and they got a special on TT's them right now. $40 rebate. I get them shipped right to a participating tire dealer:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=205%2F&ratio=60&diameter=15&x=12&y=11

10. forrestt

forrestt New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just replaced my Integrity tires today with the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max. Much quieter on the highway. We'll see how mileage is.

I was really disappointed in how long they lasted - 30K miles. BTW, I normally run 42/40 and the outsides of the tread had far more wear, which tells me they were still underinflated.

11. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I needed 12,000 miles before my TripleTreds gave me the same MPGs I had been getting with the OEMs. The Hydroedges I have on now needed *no* break-in at all to match where the TripleTreds had been.

Not sure Hydroedges are everyone's noise-level champs, but I run my stereo loud so I don't care...

12. zero26

zero26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ended up going with a toyo tire, hopefully it will be better than the integrity's.

13. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Does anyone know anything about the new Michellin "energy" tires?? Anyone have them? Who sells them? Costco? Any feedback??

thanks.........

RD

14. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I bought the Bridgestone RE 960 Pole Position AS, I run them at 38/36 and get MPG in 52 range on the highway on my 07 Prius. I plan on getting a set for my 2010 Prius when it comes in and replacing the OEM no matter weather I get the Yoko or Bridgestones. The stock OEM are high ultra low rolling resistance tires and the specs on them provide lower rating on traction, temperature and handling, greater noise ect. The 960 PP Brigestones have been really nice handling, low road noise and provided me with good wet and dry traction as well as decent snow handling capabilities.

If you look on the tire rack and read the specs and the customer reviews you can pick a much better tire for you car that will suit your needs. Yes if you get a superior tire in performance you will give up maybe 1 to 2 MPG probably max. Be aware though some of the high MPG low rolling resistance tire come new with only 8/32 tread depth and most regular tires come with 11/32 and some even come with 12 or 13/32 tread depth. Thats why some tires go 12,000 miles before they give the same MPG fuel effeciency. So do you want max MPG or good tread life. Also tires typically get noisier as they wear and the low rolling resistance tires typically are a different rubber compound that provide less traction, B temp ratings and B or BB traction ratings vs the A and AA or even AAA on most other tires. So as the tire wears the low rolling resistance tire has a tendency to get noisier faster, although the tread design also has some infulence on this too.

Anyway my 2 cents worth is I am willing to give up 1 or 2 mpg in order to have better performance and greater tread life.

15. acacia987

acacia987 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah there is definitely more to it then just the same/better mpg's. you give up 1 or 2 mpg but the savings in having a tire that lasts longer will probably negates that. not to mention the premium you are paying for the new LRR tires( well at least the michelin's anyway). If i were to go that route i would prob go with the GY fuel max, better tread life and reasonable price. just more cents in the pile

16. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My Hydroedges were a relatively good deal. I found them on-sale at a website then had them delivered to an install place across town. $95 per tire installed was a LOT better than I could have done just walking into the same store...

17. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My Bridgestone RE 960 Pole Position AS currently will be $ 377.12 installed not including sales tax. That is 195/65-15 and includes lifetime free rotations every 5000 miles.

18. Johnbear

Johnbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have had front wheel drive before and it was ok...So I have the same question about tires ..Dealer says all season is fine for the car...

-

19. forrestt

forrestt New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    9/15 - drove to Chicago over the weekend. At 73 mph with cruise, and 42/40 tire pressure, mileage was 53.1 mpg.

The Assurance Fuel Max are MUCH quieter on the highway, and fuel economy is better than prior.

20. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A