1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What to do at 50K miles (2011)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by krazypriuslady, Jun 2, 2015.

1. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey all! :LOL: been out driving and not posting!
    But my trusty lil 2011 gal has reach 50k miles. I have been faithfully doing the regular service. Last time I was in for work, it was an oil change at 40k.
    *** no, I am not doing them myself, nor do I have anyone who will do it ***

So I have an appt tomorrow for an oil change. Was I supposed to do an engine filter change at 45K? What about tranny fliud flush?

I replaced my tires around ~45k from Costco and got the Michelin Defender I think. So they take care of the rotations.

Can anyone give me a list to print and take? :)

Thanks! I have had ZERO problems with this car, and would like to keep it running like this another 100k!!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes. you should change the oil filter with the oil, every 10k, nothing at 45k. i would do the tranny fluid if keeping the car over 100,000 miles. o/m has the list you need. 60k will be air and cabin filters. the air filter should have been done at 30k and cabin every 15k.

3. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did the toyota "30k" service. I would have to double check, but I would think they did the air filter then.
    dumb question: is the air fliter the same as the engine filter?

what is "o/m" ?

so tomorrow, I should do the tranny flush and fill, oil and oil filter? and then the " 60 k service" will take care of the rest?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, the same. o/m = owners manual. that sounds like a good plan, don't let them sell you any service not listed in the manual. the tranny is not listed, but recommended by many here who have tested the oil.

krazypriuslady likes this.
  5. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pleasure.:)

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Late to the party, but here you can get printable pdf schedules:

TIS

Click on "manuals" link, then choose division/model/year, and search.

There you'll see freebie pdf's of Owners Manuals, Warranty and Maintenance Guide (includes the service schedule, event-by-event), and various lesser pamphlets.

Regarding your questions:

There's a cabin filter, and an engine filter.

Also, yeah if it's not been done, a transaxle fluid change is a good idea. "Flush" implies multiple changes, or some sort of cleaning, but just a simple drain-and-fill is needed. If the place gives you a blank look, and/or suggests multiple hundreds of dollars required, back out, and read up on it. It is dead-simple, should not cost more than $100. And you don't want to trust it to idiots that may use the wrong fluid, or other bad things.

BTW, great "mod", lol.

Our son was pulling into a parking space. It had those concrete wheel stops, the kind that are held in place by a couple of rebar nailed into the ground. Problem is: one of the rebar was sticking up a few inches. Now the lower edge of the front "bumper" has the same mod. :(

Here's the page you were looking for, just in case. This is from 2015 booklet, but believe it is the same:

Attached Files:

8. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, sorry for the late reply.
    I got the oil change. They said the TRANSMISSION oil change is about $250. I didn't ask about transAXLE. oops. my bad.
    Anyway, I didn't have it done that day. Will prob do something mid-July-ish.

Does anyone have a shop in the DC area they rec for this transAXLE job? because I'm not doing it. Lubing the bike chain is as far as I go :)

My other 'mod' that I don't have listed in being parked in my friend's driveway and her scraping my back fender on her way to pull out. I don't know how. We were parked side by side. Yeah, she's blonde. I was pissed. A year later, it still looks like crap.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's only one thing, the "transaxle", as Toyota calls it. Shouldn't cost over $100 to change fluid. The fluid itself is special, and about $30~40. There's DIY instruction here too.

10. solrunner

solrunner Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Consider strut shock replacement at 50k miles. Also consider upgrading to koni fsd dampers for better ride quality. I only have 13k and am thinking of upgrading.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    especially if you drive in areas with a lot of potholes.