1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What to do w/power antenna and dimmer wires on install?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Shameless, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Shameless

Shameless Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hey folks!

First-time poster here. I just bought a 2004 Prius, and I'm loving life. Except for the stereo without an auxiliary input. Just bought a Pioneer DEH-7500HD, which I intend to install in place of the factory head unit (didn't want to go the stealth install route).

I have a Metra harness, and I am busy connecting it to the Pioneer's harness. All is done except the "dimmer" wire and the "power antenna" wire. Having never seen what's behind the factory unit, I am wondering if I need either of these. I've read some rather confusing info regarding the power antenna wire, so any guidance would be appreciated from those who've gone this route before!

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    seems to me you don't need to hook those up. hook all else up and test it.

3. Shameless

Shameless Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks! From what I'm reading, it sounds like the power antenna wire is necessary for the antenna amp. The dimmer seems to have no cousin in the factory harness, so I will indeed cap it off.

4. Shameless

Shameless Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hmm--now I'm reading that "illumination" or "dimmer" capability is there. Anyone used this function? If so, what did you wire it to? Does pin 10 on the factory connector attach to the right thing?