1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What to do when Toyota doesn't fix our Prius properly?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dieselfit, Nov 2, 2014.

?
  1. Haven't had any problems

50.0%
  2. Customer service isn't their best feature

50.0%
  1. dieselfit

dieselfit New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey prius lovers! I'm new here, so forgive me if I haven't done much here but I hope I can be a part of the community here!

So we've got a Prius, 2008 and we live in Jordan (Middle east). We've had the prius for quite some time now, and as expected, we've had some major issue's but they are NOT getting solved.

We've taken our car many times to Toyota (the main headquarters here). After a check up, they informed us that there is no problem with the car despite the loud noise the engine was making. They said it was fine, and the noise wasn't anything major.

Days later, the engine breaks down and the car stops working. We had to hire a toe truck driver to deliver the car to Toyota (300 km from where we live).

After some arguing and some time, they finally admit their fault and gave us a light discount (5% or so off a new engine). We get the car back and the steering wheel isn't straight. It won't stay straight no matter what.

We replaced the tires with a Bridgestone store, and they told us that the wheels weren't properly aligned and it is dangerous for the tires.

This is how the car was returned back to us by Toyota. What should we do and have you experienced something similar?

The car recently went nuts and all of the warning lights in the car turned on. We're not going to use it for the time being. I'm seriously sick of Toyota now.

Thanks for any help!

2. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    2. Nothing similar. My local NC, US dealer is more than satisfactory. Ditto my 19k miles v.

3. Sounds like they removed the engine and replaced it but didn't pay any attention to the systems they had to remove to access the engine.

4. Send a letter to the dealer, copy the local distributor, copy corporate Toyota. Wait 30 days, send again and copy the local paper, car blog, TV station etc.

Expect to be reimbursed towing times 2 plus get it fixed right. Be very pleased if they offer to split the engine costs.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! how much is gas in jordan? i would proxy buy a car with better representation there.

4. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    finding a decent middle-eastern mechanic is almost impossible; finding an honest one? impossible. your gonna need to take that car to Europe if you want it fixed right.

the butchers that put the engine in got the subframe all jacked, and didn't re- connect the steering linkage properly when they were done. if you take it back to get it fixed right, they'll just make it worse.

Okinawa likes this.
  5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your experiences of Toyota dealers don't reflect mine - at all. Even had items replaced out of warranty as a good will gesture.

If the dealers in Jordan are that bad, then don't buy their cars and put them out of business. Saying that, is the Prius sold officially in your market? It has been said some dealers can be a little 'off' if you present them with a grey import.

If you really want to bring attention to the issue you could take a leaf out of this guys book;

Maserati Smashing in China: A Trend or Publicity Stunt?

Bit extreme and not guaranteed to work, but certainly gets worldwide attention. Personally if I were that cheesed off I'd just attach a big banner to my car saying "Don't buy Toyota Lemons" and park it outside the Toyota dealers. If I remain on the public highway there's nothing they can do.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    things are proxy a bit different in jordan than the uk.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Consider that comments are based on the limited information given, unfamiliarity with your vehicles service history or mileage, unfamiliarity with with the laws in Jordan...and a few assumptions.

For whatever reason, "sounds like" your motor was already shot and I will not try to "guess" why. Assuming you are off any warranty, the 5% is better than nothing, but I would push for towing reimbursements since I'm sure they knew something, contrary to what may have been said. If the steering issue did not pre-exist, then it is/was their fault and is an easy fix, but you should have not taken delivery without a good test drive first. You would have to be more specific about the dash lights before speculation, but the invertor, brake and hybrid battery systems are the "usual suspects" when the car goes nuts like you said, all of which are costly repairs. Member Patrick Wong on this sight is a reliable Gen II Guru that might better help you with this. Try and get the car scanned for codes if you can to better assist.

Where to have your Prius fixed "again", or whether it makes financially sense are decisions you should consider only once you know all the facts. Make the contacts as suggested. Here's hoping it's something small and we all wish you good luck.