1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What to do with a failed 2002 steering rack

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by HarryK, Aug 26, 2009.

1. HarryK

HarryK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just had my steering rack replaced, and my mechanic thought a business somewhere may want the old rack, as it's a pretty complex and expensive piece to re-create.
    It worked fine except the assist kept failing.

Also, as a Prius owner, I'm wondering what's the least environmentally offensive way to dispose of it if no one wants it.

So what should I do with it?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not think that the rack can be economically rebuilt. If it's up to you to get rid of it, then I suggest you take it to your local recycling facility. Or if your mechanic will get rid of it for you, let him do so.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Find out what it will cost to ship it to me. PM on the way.

I've never had one to do any forensics on. A test article would be just the thing (and no doubt, to my wife's great delight.)

Bob Wilson

4. windshearalert

windshearalert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob, when you get the rack, send me pics of the internal sensors and limit switches. I may be able to find an alternate part number in the boat loads of aviation tech books I have. would be neat to see if there is something that can be replaced or just cleaned to fix the rack issues people are having. Small sensors, potentiometers, limit switches and etc are right up my alley.