1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What to do with Prius while deployed?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bill Lumbergh, May 2, 2006.

1. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got a scheduled rotation to east Asia (nowhere near Middle East) coming up soon and I'm not sure what I need to do to ensure my Prius is in good shape when I return. I'll be gone about four months and I don't know anyone well enough (or trust them) to leave my keys here. With gas prices the way they are and with all the SUVs my non-deploying coworkers own, I suspect my car would become their primary commuter.

So let's assume I'm going to park my car in the long-term lot on base, where it will sit for 90-120 days untouched. I don't have SKS, so I'm not concerned about it draining the battery, but I am considering unplugging the 12v battery's negative terminal anyways to prevent it from draining (I've done it on my two previous deployments with older cars). I also plan on jacking up the tire presure to close to 50 psi to prevent flat-spotting.

I've filled the gas tank to the top on all previous deployments to prevent corossion, but I'm not sure I want to do that this time. I also usually change the oil just before I go, as oil tends to build up acidity as it sits.

Any other recommendations? The car will be outdoors exposed so I might get a car cover.

2. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

There's a button below the steering wheel and you can turn off your smart key entry. That way, your car won't drain the battery while constantly sending out signals looking for the key. Of course, you have to use the mechanical key to get in and out of the car while your smart key system is off.

EDIT: My fiancee says that he can drive th car around for you while you are gone :p He's jealous of my prius. I've been telling himm smugly "why don't you just drill a hole in your gas tank and allow the fuel to leak. Your guzzler won't even know the difference." I think it's getting in his head finally... ;)

3. Stepclimb

Stepclimb Junior Member

I'm currently deployed to the land of heat and dust for 90 days. Here's what I did to my 2006:

1. Removed the 12V battery, put it in the house on a battery maintainer (Sears; $30)

2. Installed window shades all around (priuschat $120)

3. Put a container of "Damp Rid" on the passenger side floor mat to absorb excess moisture.

4. Filled the tank, and added "Sta-Bil" fuel stabilzer.

5. Washed the car, and waxed it twice.

If I had more time, I would have put it up on jackstands. For very long term storage, and if your worried about insects, a bowl of mothballs on the floor helps. For areas prone to problems with rodents, a bar of soap somewhere in the car repels them.

Hope this helps.
    -Stepclimb

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Fill the tank. It's an investment. Gas will cost $4 when you return, so you'll have saved $8.

I didn't think radial tires had to be jacked up.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have it shipped to my home address in Nixa, MO. I'll be glad to perform all routine maintainence and to drive it regularly to assure the 12v stays charged up and that it stays in perfect working order.

I would go ahead and unhook the 12v battery before you go. If you can take it on the kind of drive that will put the battery at a relatively high SOC that's probably a good idea...like 6 blue bars or 7 green bars. Otherwise it should be good for that time frame.

If it's possible to have someone drive it every 2-4 weeks just a bit that would be a good idea too. There are a couple of other Anchorage area Prius owners...maybe you could meet some of them and see if they'd be willing to help you out.

6. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    And make sure to change your vent setting to re-circulate. Critters tend to like to crawl up there when it is left in outside air mode.