1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What to do!?!?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by yarzy, Jul 12, 2006.

1. yarzy

yarzy New Member

I am in a real bind here and I am looking to the Prius community for help. My car is ending it’s life and I am looking to get a new car hopefully in the Spring of 2007. Now, I know that there is a new Prius around the corner and I am wondering if I should wait and get the new one, or just go ahead and get a 2006/07 at that time. I am very concerned I will be buy “old†technology and the new Prius will just rock compared to the new one. What would you do? I really am torn here!

2. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Keep looking under the search engine here..2007, buy now and other related key words will get you more info. Most have stated that there are not any huge changes expected 06/07 but 2008 may have more bang for the buck. Think more about cashing in on tax rebates and are you putting any money in on your old vehicle now. Are you buying cash, saving for down and financing? Those issues are probably more important than any model differrences.

3. AAWADKE

AAWADKE New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Jul 12 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]285169[/snapback]</div>
    I think you should wait for 07 and then for 08 and then for 09 and then for 10.........u never know every year u may have better technology

4. yarzy

yarzy New Member

Well,

I would pay cash for it I think at this point. I am not as concerned about the 2007 as I am with the 2008 (the new body style). I am wondering what new technology they will have, what bugs they have fixed, how much mpg it will get, etc. There is no doubt I will be getting a Prius, the question is what year. The unknown is killing me!

5. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AAWADKE @ Jul 12 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]285172[/snapback]</div>
    It was very hard for me not to go running back to the dealership and get that 06 Barcelona red with leather...(don't tell the cranberry but that is a RED car, Salsa is maroon, which is ok)

6. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't know anything about the new Prius, but I just picked up my 06 last Wednesday and let me tell you- the Prius already rocks! It by far the "smartest" car I've ever driven and the most fun to boot. I look for excuses to drive it. My wife thinks I'm nuts. When she asked what I wanted to do last night, I jokingly replied "wanna go out and sit in the Prius?"

7. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would wait for the new model if I could. Elsewhere on this site it seems confirmed that the 08 model will be a plug-in hybrid (REALLLY Cool), this should indicate some real EV distance. They will also bump the FE some.
    I have no idea what it will look like or cost.

The 07 model is basicallty the same as the 04-06 with the japanese touring package added.

So I think the 08 model (assuming that's the new one) is a big deal. It's gen III (or IV) of hybrids and will mark a milestone with (hopefully) useful EV distance as well as the ability to plug-in! Tre'cool (it will ruing the resale value of my car but what can I do?)

8. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yarzy @ Jul 12 2006, 04:43 PM) [snapback]285163[/snapback]</div>
    You haven't told us what kind of driving you do. How long is your commute? What speed? Where do you live? All those things may impact your decision and the comments you receive.

9. kentricho

kentricho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think, as someone else posted on here a couple of weeks ago... the Prius will constantly evolve with better technology.

Just like your computer, you buy state of the art, then next year it's out of date.

Same with the Prius... buy your Prius now, keep it for some years, then sell and buy the new unreal state of the art 2011 Prius :)

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Is the tax credit still available? If so, getting one this year could be a bonus.

11. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yarzy @ Jul 12 2006, 05:00 PM) [snapback]285178[/snapback]</div>
    Have you thought about getting a 2006 before October 1 to maximize your tax credit? Then you could trade it in a 'newer' model after they come out and you do enough research to be certain it's time to get it.

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2004 rocked quite a bit more by comparison to the '01-03 Prius,
    but people still love their Classics. Get what suits your needs.
    If that means waiting for the Estima to finally be marketed in this
    country, then that's what you want to do. If you want to start
    enjoying the Prius lifestyle now, then do it. If finances are an
    issue, you may be able to save a little [but only a little] on a
    gently-used '04 or '05 by now.
    _H*

13. tyrael

tyrael Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(withersea @ Jul 12 2006, 05:01 PM) [snapback]285180[/snapback]</div>
    I like the enthusiasm!!! I just picked mine up too and I love it! Why wait? It's just like waiting to buy the best of the best, when the ultimate best is just around the corner. Just fix the one up now and make it yours!!!

14. fjef

fjef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jul 13 2006, 08:21 AM) [snapback]285277[/snapback]</div>
    I still have a 2001 model (second generation in Japan) and although I know the newer models get better mpg and are a 'nicer' car, I have no problems driving the 'older' model - it is still way more technically advanced than everything else on the road.

We have 130,000 kms on the 2001 and its the best car I have ever owned. We are averaging about 20 kms/litre which is about US 46 mpg and with gas prices here in Japan, we are saving a bundle. The 2001 to 3003 'classic' models are shooting up in value in the used market here in Japan as more people are wanting to buy a Prius across all price ranges. Even with the Classic model, the smugness factor is still full on.

The used prices on 2nd hand Estima Hybrids are just starting to drop here as the 2006 model has a new hybrid system - I may trade up and end up with the same mpg as my current Prius but having an 8 passenger, 4 wheel drive van. I wish these decisions weren't so difficult!